Mouse problem

Guest joopi

Hi, I used to have windows and my mousewheel used to work great.. although now that i have MD9 it doesn't work, any suggestions on setting it up? its a logitech intellieye mouse but its on my ps/2 port.

I saw on another board, a logitech didn't work until the user took off the ps/2 adapter and plugged it into the usb, and chose usb/wheel in mousedrake.

What mouse did you chose?

What does the Pointer Section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 say?

If you try the usb route, you might need to run mousedrake again and reboot, but you should not have to reboot. If in X, you'll need to restart X by doing Ctrl>Alt>Backspace.

Lets us know :)

Guest Stumbles
Hi, I used to have windows and my mousewheel used to work great.. although now that i have MD9 it doesn't work, any suggestions on setting it up? its a logitech intellieye mouse but its on my ps/2 port.

Not sure but I have a Logitech wheel mouse and these are the defaults Madrake 9.0 used;

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "resolution" "1600"

These work just fine for me.

Now with other distros I haved used the following with the same mouse;

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option "resolution" "1600"

Note - the last option line is something added be me. It is a lot simpler thatn fiddling with other things to adjust mouse sensitivity.

• 1 year later...

I am new to Linux, not a programmer but I have a technical background and I am persistent :wall:

MOUSE PROBLEM: How do I undo this wrong mouse configuration when I can't navigate in the GUI now?

I finally got a good install of mdk 10 CE to dual boot with WinXP. I had spent many hours for days on this without much sleep. I was getting CRC errors until I started messing with the hardware. It was either an improperly seated RAM module or a CDROM / CDRW cable/connection or configuration. Whatever.

I booted into Gnome first and I had an invisible mouse curser. It took me awhile to find it because it was invisible. I went into the configuration window and was finally able to get the mouse selected and run the configuration thing. I tried the drivers for the PS2 wheel mice but they didn't work. I began trying others on the chance that one might work. The curser never appear.

Finally I selected a mouse config that screwed everything up. The invisible cursor is stuck in the lower left hand corner of the desktop and the keyboard ONLY works within the small pop up window in that corner, which makes the keyboard useless. The more I tried to get back into the mouse config the worse it all got-

I logged out of Gnome and into KDE and tried there. Same problem only it got worse. I can't even log out now without using the reset button, and when I reset I still have the same problem in Gnome and KDE.

I need to UNDO whatever I did so I can plug in a mouse that works.

Who could imagine that a mouse could be this much trouble- It is an older Hewlett Packard wheel mouse.

I think it would be easier for me to just reinstall the OS with a new mouse. On the other hand, I would like to start learning somewhere, since I am new to this. If anyone want's to take the time to explain a 'how to fix', I will take it from there and try to fix it, learn some things in the process and pass on some assistance elsewhere.

I am installing Linux because I want to learn some programming in an open source environment.

Thank you

nsolitude

try:

ctrl-alt-F1

login as root

do:

telinit 3

drakXconf (not 100% sure try typing drak and hit the tab key, it will show the options)

This should let you setup your mouse, iirc..

Another thing, on my website config page I have my xfconfig files for 10.0 and 9.2, you may want to compare those (you can even surf there on the command line: lynx www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr ) with your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

the command is;

drakconf

when at init 3/console.

I'd try

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

IF you have;

-2 buttons

-thumbbutton

-wheel

I d/k what to put if no thumbbutton. Anyone? Is it the same?

Editing the file? Eventually you'll want to learn vi probably, but for now to get things working you may find it easier to use nano. To install it do;

urpmi nano

and hopefully it's in your software sources. Other wise, there's the vi tutorial....ummm...what was that command? :wall:

vi tutorial

? /me forgot :woops: