dkms-gspcav1 driver after kernel update

RVDowning

I did: urpmi kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.9-2mdv

That didn't make the cams work, even after a reboot, so I tried a urpme/urpmi of dkms-gspcav1 and still no joy. I rebooted again with the previous kernel and again did a urpme/urpmi of dkms-gspcav1 and they still don't work. So, now I am again on the latest kernel again. I figure if the cams are not going to work on either kernel anyway, then I might as well be on the latest one.

Anyway, when I did a urpme of kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.9-2mdv and instead a urpmi of urpmi kernel-desktop-devel-latest it worked. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is the way it is.

I do wish that they would default kernel upgrades to unchecked to make it less likely that the kernel will get upgraded by accident.

Edited by RVDowning

The intention is that kernel upgrades should happen automatically and everything should 'just work', so when this doesn't happen I'm interested in what went wrong. So the situation now is that the cameras are working? I'm still a little unsure on exactly what you did and what changed :\