OpenGL problem with SIS630

dhague30

hey

when i try to run any 3d openGL games, my system slows down very much and i get slow framerates. my card is a SiS 630. i think it may have something to do with openGL because 2D works fine, but it is 3D that has issues. what can i do to solve this problem?

thanks

Guest fubar::chi

AFAIK there is nothing you can do. To get 3D working at any respectable rate in linux you need a "real" video card not that embedded stuff they give you with the computer. If you're not into heavt video gaming UT2003, Neverwinternights, Quake, etc, you can go out and get a really cheap 32 mb (even 16mb if you can find them) ati video card. I'm purposefully saying ati and not nvidia here because I don't think it's worth the trouble getting one of those just for "chromium" or tuxracer. older ati have good 3d support. My old rage 128 bases XPert 128 was able to handle 3D stuff.

Again this is just as far as I know. Maybe the X guys have 3D support for nonNVIDIA/SiS integrated cards but i doubt it.