Apache Web Server

Guest Grimey

Guest Grimey

Alright I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of getting my own website up and running, I want to use Apache because I have heard from everyone that it is the way to go but I want it to be as FREE as possible. Do I NEED to pay for a domain name or are there ways around that and such? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate, thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

You can find host companies that cost only 25 a year US. For another 25, you can get your domain name (I think $25)..

You need to research it though. You will need php. I would mess around developing some stuff off your local connection for a while, install packages you are planning to setup (e.g. dynamic photo gallery) until you know what features you need in a host..

Guest Grimey

Well basically what I'm going to be using it for is actually going to be pretty extensive. I'm starting a local record label so I'm going to have a main site for the label and then sub sites for each band under the label and I wanted to somehow assign accounts so that each of the bands can login to their accounts to alter their webpages at will because I won't be admining their sites, only mine and the label's site. I have QUITE a bit of research ahead of me, and thanks for that link I'll check it out right now. I know nothing about PHP so I guess I'll have to read up on that? What am I going to need it for. Sorry I"m a little behind on the HTML and web page world...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thule2manden
Well basically what I'm going to be using it for is actually going to be pretty extensive.  I'm starting a local record label so I'm going to have a main site for the label and then sub sites for each band under the label and I wanted to somehow assign accounts so that each of the bands can login to their accounts to alter their webpages at will because I won't be admining their sites, only mine and the label's site.  I have QUITE a bit of research ahead of me, and thanks for that link I'll check it out right now.  I know nothing about PHP so I guess I'll have to read up on that?  What am I going to need it for.  Sorry I"m a little behind on the HTML and web page world...

Why not start with a smaller and easier project and learn from that? :o