I can't log out

Guest pascald

Guest pascald

I upgraded from mdk9.0 to 9.1, everything went fine except this :

When I want to log out from a Gnome or a KDE session, the monitor hangs up, and my keyboard and mouse do not respond anymore. I can then only push the computer shutdown switch (I know, it is a bad thing to do, but that leaves me with no choice). The only way to have a clean reboot or shutdown is to open a term, su as root and type shutdown -r or -h now.

Same problem when I run a session as root.

Same problem after changing the login manager from kdm to gdm.

The syslog file does not indicate anything (except of course, after restart it says that the computer has not been shutdown cleanly).

Where do I need to look first ?

Pascald

PS : the Xfree86 config file has not been modified during the upgrade. Maybe there is something to change when using Xfree86-4.3 instead of 4.2?

Welcome!

Where do I need to look first ?
That you did an Upgrade instead of backing up /home and doing a clean install. There's a few threads on the board from recent attempts/failures (Search for upgrade). It will only get worse......the only stable way is a clean install.

Guest pascald

Thanks for your help. I found the answer here :

http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op...c=6507&forum=10

I use a Radeon (7500 something), and it seems that all Radeon >=7500 have the same problem.

The solution is to update XFree (follow the link).

Sorry for this unnecessary post, I should have searched much longer myself before posting here.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mellobiafra

I have a Radeon 7000VE and have had exactly the same problem...I had thought it was either a sick ISO image or an ACPI problem. You've saved me a lot of wasted time too...result! 8)

Guest ndeb
I upgraded from mdk9.0 to 9.1, everything went fine
An upgrade is not advisable. A better idea is to do a clean install while keeping /home intact.

That you did an Upgrade instead of backing up /home and doing a clean install. There's a few threads on the board from recent attempts/failures (Search for upgrade). It will only get worse......the only stable way is a clean install.
Note that backing up /home is only a safety measure in case something goes wrong and the partitions get screwed up. But the idea is to keep /home intact while doing the installation in /.