Mounting Creative Zen V Plus

RVDowning

When using Mandriva 2008.0, I notice that when I connect my iPod nano to the usb port, a dialog box comes up asking me if I want to view the directory etc, and mounts the device. However, when I connect my Creative Zen V Plus mp3 player, nothing seems to happen. How would I go about mounting it?

Autodetect says that it sees no devices. When I go to Add Devic, it wants me to tell it the mount point. Well, I don't know what the mount point is, so I can't tell Amarok.

I do see the device with lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 041e:4152 Creative Technology, Ltd

Now, how do I go about mounting it somewhere?

I have been able to load music onto the device using gnomad2. gnomad2 seems to use it without its having been mounted. Not sure how it does this magic. However, if I ever want to just copy some data to the player, kind of using it as a flash drive, I still need to find a way to mount it.

I just don't know what device it is in /dev I'll look at dmesg when I get home.

When I attach the device I get the following lines in dmesg:

usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5

usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

By the way, this is an MTP device, if that is of any significance.

Edited by RVDowning

Thanks. Amarok asks where the device is mounted. It is also unable to autodetect the device. One is supposed to be able to use it to manage an iPod or Zen player, but as far as I can tell it can't. It seems to be just a bloated music player.

Also, the Zen V Plus can be partitioned so that you can use it to transfer data files. I wonder how you access the data files if you can't mount the partition.

Edited by RVDowning

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot say how one would mount the Zen player to transfer data files, but I was able to connect to transfer music files with Amarok. I went to Amarok>Settings>Configure Amarok>Add Device. Under 'Select the plugin. . .', I chose 'MTP Media Device'. This disabled the 'Enter the mount point. . .' line. I put in a name (Creative Zen V Plus) and clicked OK. I connected the player and then clicked on the 'Connect' button. This gave me a complete list of existing music on the player and the ability to transfer. Hope this helps a bit.