Wallpaper problem [solved]

Guest bean12345

Guest bean12345

I'm a new user of mandriva (and linux in general). I downloaded a new wallpaper however my user doesn't have permission to copy the file to the right folder If I log in as root I don't have access to the wallpaper because its in my users files. How then does a user install a picture as wallpaper?

Any help would be appreciated.

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

You don't need to copy the file to the "right" folder, you can keep it in any folder. When you're selecting your wallpaper just browse to the picture you want, wherever it is.

By the way, as root you can see everyone's files! But better not log in as root. Just log in as yourself, open a console and use the "su" command to gain root privileges. Then you could copy a file from your user directory to anywhere in the system. Just be careful when doing this! Oh and remember that when you're root, the ~ directory isn't /home/bean12345, it's /root, so if you're trying to copy from ~/pics/pic.jpg then it won't be able to find it. You would have to specify /home/bean12345/pics/pic.jpg to access it.