Help installing nasm

igotnoluck

Hi,

i'm trying to install nasm for compiling Assembly on my linux machine.

if i run this command:

urpmi nasm

it works, but when i want to install the newest version (0.99.06) and i downloaded it (my computer is AMD_64) and run this:

urpmi nasm-0.99.06-1.x86_64.rpm

i get the following error:

Some requested packages cannot be installed:
nasm-0.99.06-1.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied rtld(GNU_HASH))
Continue installation anyway? (Y/n)

what am i doing wrong ?

The error indicates some rpm dependancy missing or pointing to a different (mostly newer) version. In your case it seems to be glibc, which is a vital component to the system in general. So it would be most wise to use a standard repository rpm to update nasm and wait until the corresponding glibc package is available there.

You'll also need a full 64 bit environment (since using correct glibc version) to use the 64 bit version of nasm (suppose cross compiling is not possible this way...).

Edited by scoonma

Last nasm on Mandriva 2008.0 is 0.98.39. There is a newer 0.99.06 nasm in Cooker, and if you want it the safest bet is taking the source RPM from Cooker (say from HERE ) and rebuilding it ( "rpm --rebuild nasm*.src.rpm" under a build environment, or as root). The one you are mentioning is surely enough NOT a Mandriva RPM (you can easily see it just by its name!), and you should not try installing it at all (...and especially using urpmi). Chances to hose your system irreparably are great.

Edited by scarecrow