How to set up telnet

Guest kryolla

Guest kryolla

Is there a how to set up a telnet server on my linux box. I am using a w2k box as a client. This is over my lan so security should not be an issue. THanks

easist thing to do: open up a terminal, su to root (that is, type in su, hit enter, enter the root password, hit enter) and then type in "urpmi telnet-server" (no quotes of course) and hit enter again. it will most likely ask for a CD (from the install), but i just did it and it retrieved the file from my update source (since it has been updated since 9.1 came out).

Now, you'll need to go into mandrake control center, security, firewall, and make sure you are allowing connections for the telnet protocol.

Guest kryolla

Thank You. I was able to dl telnet server and use it through webmin. I am not familiar with SSH. Is SSH as easy as telnet and any how to?. Thanks again for the help

ssh is pretty simple, accept that you'd have to download a program for the windows computer, as it doesn't contain one unless you install it. i suggest putty. as for simplicity, it'd be the same deal, accept do "urpmi ssh-server" and again use the mandrake control center to make sure the port needed is opened.

as for how-to's, well, webmin takes care of most things, and is pretty simple, but if you should have some how-to's on your system, tho at the moment where they should be escapes me. also, usually a search on google would be useful.

Guest kryolla

Thanks Again, It is because of this forum and people like you that makes Linux an enjoyable experience. I dl putty for my w2k and installed openssh-server. It worked like a charm. I also deleted telnet-server.