Evolution 2.12 and local delivery fails to work

pindakoe

I have been running a local mail setup comprising of postfix, fetchmail, spamd/spamassassin and procmail for some years now and generally without issues. I use sylpheed as client, whilst rest of the family uses Evolution. All was well under 2007 and 2007.1. This stopped when upgrading to 2008 (NB: this was a fresh install where only /home was preserved because I wanted to start with a clean slate and do some re-partitioning).

The problem I encounter is that I cannot get evolution to read its incoming mail from the spool-file for that user (/var/spool/mail/$USER). I have done the following: started evolution, followed the first-time wizzard, selected 'local delivery' to receive email, click on the button labelled as 'configuration' and navigate to /var/spool/mail, to find out that my spool file is greyed out. Somehow evo does not want you to select a file. Confirming the spool directory with OK, then leads to errors in evolution:

Error while Fetching Mail.
Could not open mail file /var/spool/mail: Is a directory

I did some googling and only found this, which is the same problem on Fedora 7, but provides no solution. Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon seems to have the same issue, but provides a work-around of sorts. Another post suggests this is related to evolution sharing the spool with mutt (which I do not use), see here.

Sylpheed works fine for me, but is less acceptable to the other members of the household, so I am at a loss what is going on. Any clues? My impression is taht this is an evolution bug in 2.12 (it confuses maildirs with mail spools or something like it).

Edited by pindakoe

• 3 months later...