Mandriva 2008

AussieJohn

Nah, on second thoughts, leave the description as it is! :P After getting the libgphoto2 updates, I could connect to my Canon camera no probs, either through Konqueror or through Digikam. But still nothing with the Panasonic (unspecified error, can't connect). I then did a "urpmi -auto-select --update" which even after disabling non-free and urpmeing firefox and openoffice, still downloaded a metric s__tload of updates (no binary patches, anyone?). But still no Panasonic.

So maybe the symptoms are the same for Olympus, Canon and Panasonic, but maybe this fix is just for Canon? :unsure:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, on second thoughts, leave the description as it is! :P After getting the libgphoto2 updates, I could connect to my Canon camera no probs, either through Konqueror or through Digikam. But still nothing with the Panasonic (unspecified error, can't connect). I then did a "urpmi -auto-select --update" which even after disabling non-free and urpmeing firefox and openoffice, still downloaded a metric s__tload of updates (no binary patches, anyone?). But still no Panasonic.

So maybe the symptoms are the same for Olympus, Canon and Panasonic, but maybe this fix is just for Canon? :unsure:

oh dear, I changed it already. I'll just make it something vague. :)

did you report your problem?

• 4 months later...

AdamW. Sorry for the long delay on this but have just become a little more understanding of the problem and thus was able to put into effect what you suggested as per your earlier post quoted below. The line I used was....... /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500 but had to run it as root to work though..

As of 10 minutes ago the back button now finally works in both Konqueror and Firefox. HHHHooooorrrrraaaaaayyyyyy. :thumbs:

Now if only Mandriva can make this automatic again as it used to be and it should. This is not something a newbie should have to do least of all anyone who has been using Mandriva for a long time such as myself. It seems to be a case of Mandriva not dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's when it makes changes to already working programs. Not good.

But I will say this.......If Final Mandriva2008-Spring is even better than rc2 then it will be a fabulous release. .

But these minor problems must be fixed to make it near perfect out of the box. A user should not have to make black list entry's.

They should be able to select the Sound source via Gui as a default and that should be the end of it.

For example I had an onboard audio source that I disabled in Bios yet the darned thing still showed up in Mandriva. I also have a Video capture card and its audio source was also active so all three were active and competing on top of which the onboard unwanted audio, disabled in the bios, was the first up source. No wonder sound wouldn't work properly until somethings were blacklisted. I have since removed the Creative Sound card (Won't ever use Creative products again) and now use the Onboard Audio but the Capture card still has to be blacklisted by manual text entry.

The Mouse thumb button thing is another example.

Any comments welcome. Thanks Adam and everyone else who came in on this. Cheers. John.

john: aha - it's not loading a config file for your mouse. Note my output for the same command:

[adamw@lenovo deluge]$ ps aux | grep imwheel

adamw 4813 0.0 0.0 3436 888 ? Ss Oct24 0:03 /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500

see the --rc parameter.

let's try some good old-fashioned experimentation. Kill the running imwheel process, then run exactly the one in my example - /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500 . See if the thumb button does anything in Firefox now. If it doesn't, try /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX700 , then /usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX1000 , then /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.generic . Don't restart X or anything between tries, you shouldn't need to.

Edited by AussieJohn