Viewing DVDs in 2008 [solved]

jbuckley2004

I had no problem viewing any DVD I tried under 2007.1, but after installing 2008, I get the message

The source can't be read. 
Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (Error reading from DVD.)

Uh-huh.

I get essentially the same message using kmplayer. I suspect I'm missing a codecs.

The alternative explanation is the recording industry is now living inside my computer's case. That would not be a good thing.

I've already downloaded and installed all the relevant codecs that I see from the repositories, so I'm at a loss (a loss of functionality, actually, and I hate that when I upgrade).

Other relevant information: nvidia gforce fx 5200 video card running with the driver supplied by Mandriva (which is 100.14.19, I believe) which is supporting Compiz-fusion wonderfully, btw, a Sony 830A DVD player that has worked perfectly for a month (including burning a installing of both 2008 One and 2008 Free), and a Athlon 64 3800+ with 1 gig ram.

Ah - Thanks, Scarecrow. That did it.

Sigh - I can be an idiot. I saw the answer yesterday, but got off the track when I couldn't find libdvdcss2 in the repositories. Of course, at that time I hadn't used easy-urpmi to set them up...

Works like a champ now, and once again I am a happy dude.

Yeah, the 5200 is a dog (fgxgears tells me I'm getting only 950 fps or so, when it should be closer to 1500. Even with 2007.1 I was getting closer to 1200). Fortunately, it doesn't bug me because I'm not a gamer and its supported, cheap (second hand on e-bay, anyway) and much better than the ancient card I had before. When I next upgrade, I'll be looking at an 7600 or something like that.