Help! [solved]

Mitchell

Hi Folks, urgent help required. Just did an ftp upgrade install from a cooker version of 2008.0 to the official release of 2008.0, and now I can't log in to any of my accounts, save root by running startx -- :1 in the virtual terminal. Trying to log into my main account from the login screen I get the error message 'cannot start kdeconfig' What can I do? I set the user id's correctly at the time of upgrade, and can't log in. Was initiall told that perhaps my tmp directory was too full, so cleared it from both root and /home/mitchell (my home directory), is case it was too full after the upgrade. Now the error message has changed to 'Cannot start kdeconfig.

I looked at the permissions in my home folder, and found they were sett to rwx------ root:root. Thought that might be the problem, so set them to: rwxrwx--- mitchell:curiouscats. (curiouscats was the group set before, checked in usedrake, it still is there) No change. Anyone have any clues? This is my business computer, and I'm at a total loss if I can't log in by this morning. Thanks everyone!

~Mitchell

Edited by Mitchell

Set such that you can read hidden files in /mitchell to expose .kde and click on it go to share then config and delete config.

Now reboot and see if you can get into your account again.

If not then have you by any chance got Gnome installed as well. In root can you open MCC and see if you have GDM as well as KDM. If you do then set for GDM and reboot to get into Gnome and open MCC again and delete kdebase and most kde stuff. Then reinstall kdebase and most of kde stuff again. In MCC set for Login into kdm via the ----->System -----> Login Manager again. You may also see XDM and not have GDM then do all the previous from there.

The important thing is that to delete kde stuff, you must not have kde running as the window Manager, only xdm or gdm. I suggest reboot although some people reckon it is only necessary to log out then back into KDM this time.

Actually if you come up to a CLI login screen, try typing xdm pressing enter and see what happens or try typing in gdm, before you do any of the above.

This might work and get you into your account so you can get on with your business and do the delete kde and reinstall kde later.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Arctic, I did try that again, to no availe. Just finished a clean install of 2008.0, and couldn't be happier. Everything's working fine now, and as I did a netinstall, only used 2G, maybe less. Sooooooo relieved and happy. Thanks people!

~MItchell