KDE won't start

mightymulatto

In the course of trying to get Xine to display properly I installed XFree 86's newest version. I used the install.sh to direct me on which files to add to the directory.

I did fix the issue with the funky display, but now KDE will not automatically start.

It gives me a commandline login . Entering the UN and PW work and I simply press "kde" to get it up and going. I'm gonna be giving this PC away when done. Is there any thing I can do to fix it ?

When I shutdown I do get something that says that Xserver is shutting down or that I destroyed it. Also I don't get the options to shutdown when I log off.

I have word for word the same symptoms listed here. https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...02&hl=Xfree

Edited by mightymulatto

In the course of trying to get Xine to display properly I installed XFree 86's newest version. I used the install.sh to direct me on which files to add to the directory.

I did fix the issue with the funky display, but now KDE will not automatically start.

It gives me a commandline login . Entering the UN and PW work and I simply press "kde" to get it up and going. I'm gonna be giving this PC away when done. Is there any thing I can do to fix it ?

When I shutdown I do get something that says that Xserver is shutting down or that I destroyed it. Also I don't get the options to shutdown when I log off.

I have word for word the same symptoms listed here. https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...02&hl=Xfree

Were you by chance messing with /etc/inittab? Open terminal, and type in the command prompt:

$ more /etc/inittab |grep initdefault

If you see this:

id:3:initdefault:

you need to change it to

id:5:initdefault:

You can do it by editing the file as root. Or go to mandriva control center, there must be an option to boot into GUI on startup. Make sure the box is checked.

Thanks for the heads up. It's set to init 5. I updated X86 following these instructions ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.7.0/binaries/Install.

Then a quick reboot and thats when this started.

When I try to perform the test in XFdrake I get (EE) Failed to initialize GLK extension (Compatible Nvidia X driver not found.)

Try to change some parameters.

I ran this inside of an X session it seems. I thing this is how got into trouble ><!

If you run the installer from within an X session (the installer checks if

$DISPLAY is set), you will be warned that doing so is not a good idea.

Unless you have a good reason for knowing that this will not be a problem,

you should exit your X session, including stopping xdm or equivalent if it is

running, before continuing. If you ignore this warning and run into prob-

lems, well, you were warned!

Edited by mightymulatto

All Mandriva KDE packages are built against xorg... what makes you think that they will work with xfree86 as well?

XFDrake also reads the xorg configuration files- it does not know at all about the Xfree86 existence.

I suspect your xine would dispaly fine by just changing the output from "xv" to "gl", but it may be too late already for fixes...

Edited by scarecrow

Ah I see. I read this from the xine site:

The image looks strange, it is shifted, cropped or shows weird lines!

This points to a problem with the Xv extension, which is used by xine to display the video image. To verify this, try running xine with the XShm video output plugin:

xine -V XShm

If that works fine, you just proved, that the Xv extension is buggy. xine will remember the last used video output plugin, so the setting will stay at XShm. You could simply continue using this, but XShm is a lot slower than Xv, so read on and see if you can get it working. Usually you should look for updated versions of the X driver module that belongs to your graphics card.

Other possibilites are limitations in either your X driver module or your graphics hardware. If your card could somehow be running out of ressources (graphics RAM perhaps) and displays an incorrect Xv overlay because of that, try reducing the display resolution and/or colour depth.

Consult the next question for more details on Xv.

How can I make xine use the Xv extension and what drivers do I need?

xine will normally use Xv by default if it is available. In some cases you might need to choose Xv playback manually (when the ~/.xine/config file for some reason says that you want to use XShm):

xine -V Xv

If this doesn't work for you, it may be possible that Xv is not present on your system.

First you need to install/use X.org or XFree 4.x. Once you got that you have to make sure the X drivers you're using are supporting Xv on your hardware. Here are some hints for individual gfx chips:

If I run into this problem again, I will try X.org vs XFree.

When I did the following:

xine -V XShm

The lines went away. So I figured the Xv extension like it said was buggy. How would I update that exactly?

Is it apart of x.org or Xfree86?

Edited by mightymulatto

xine works better with virtually every modern videocard when using the OpenGL driver- not xv or xshm.

xine -V opengl -f PATH_TO_VIDEOFILE

And: you shouldn't mess with XFRee86 at all. It would be a huge amount of work to do to switch to it, even when using LFS, let alone Mandriva...

Edited by scarecrow