gphoto2 update with Mandriva 2006

pelusa

Hi,

i am failry new to Mandriva and have a question related to an update. First yes I know there is newer Mandriva around. However, mandriva 2006 is the only free distribution, which supports all labview issues i have to deal with. Now I woudl like to use gphoto2 as well on this machine. I noticed that the latest version from a rpm source is gphoto2 2.1.6. there exists gphoto2 2.4.0 since July 2007 which I would like to use. OK I thought I wojudl just urpme gphoto2, urpme libgphoto2 and install the tar balls. However after typing urpme libgphoto2, I got following meassage:

[localhost]# urpme libgphoto2

To satisfy dependencies, the following 9 packages will be removed (16 MB):

drakconf-10.3-5mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied harddrake-ui > 10-12mdk)

drakfirsttime-1.3-1mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied hwdb-clients >= 0.15.1-1mdk)

harddrake-10.3-0.64.3.20060mdk.i586 (due to missing hwdb-clients)

harddrake-ui-10.3-0.64.3.20060mdk.i586 (due to missing sane-backends)

hwdb-clients-0.18-1mdk.noarch (due to missing sane-backends)

libgphoto2-2.1.6-8.3.20060mdk.i586

libsane1-1.0.16-5mdk.i586 (due to missing libgphoto2_port.so.0, due to missing libgphoto2.so.2)

mdkonline-1.3-6.2.20060mdk.noarch (due to unsatisfied hwdb-clients >= 0.15.1-1mdk)

sane-backends-1.0.16-5mdk.i586 (due to missing libgphoto2_port.so.0, due to missing libgphoto2.so.2, due to missing libsane.so.1)

Is this OK? (y/N) n

[localhost]#

I was not sure whether I should allow to delete these dependencies as i do nto know for what they are used. thats why I am asking here. is there anything important, which i should not delete?

Thanks a lot

Pelusa

Don't delete. There's a lot of important stuff in there, not sure why, but you don't want to get rid of all that. Do you have a gphoto2 rpm for Mandriva 2006 of the newer version (2.4.0)? Or are you compiling from source (tar.gz)? Note that compiling from source can get pretty complex, you'll probably need a lot of *-devel packages. As far as removing the current gphoto2, I would do man urpme and look for an option to not check dependencies (may be --no-deps or similar), that way you can remove gphoto2 without removing all those other packages (as far as I can see, none of them absolutely require gphoto2).

This is just one case that is showing the way certain RPM's are built in Mandriva being ridiculous!

drakconf does have a scanner calibration module, but depending on sane-backends (which in turn depends on libgphoto2) is simply enough the WRONG way to build RPM's...

Just remove it with "rpm -e --nodeps libgphoto*.rpm" (or use kpackage to uninstall it, ticking in the box to not check dependencies). Then you can install a newer RPM, or build from source.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi Tyme,

thanks for the fast response

Do you have a gphoto2 rpm for Mandriva 2006 of the newer version (2.4.0)?

-- No the 2.1.6 version is the last

Or are you compiling from source (tar.gz)?

-- Yes I have to

Note that compiling from source can get pretty complex, you'll probably need a lot of *-devel packages. As far as removing the current gphoto2, I would do man urpme and look for an option to not check dependencies (may be --no-deps or similar), that way you can remove gphoto2 without removing all those other packages (as far as I can see, none of them absolutely require gphoto2).

-- Luckily gphoto2 does not depend on anything, its just its library, libgphoto2. Perhaps I can just leave it and install the new version of the library as well as the new version of gphoto2?

Pelusa

Hi Scarecrow,

This is just one case that is showing the way certain RPM's are built in Mandriva being ridiculous!

drakconf does have a scanner calibration module, but depending on sane-backends (which in turn depends on libgphoto2) is simply enough the WRONG way to build RPM's...

Just remove it with "rpm -e --nodeps libgphoto*.rpm" (or use kpackage to uninstall it, ticking in the box to not check dependencies). Then you can install a newer RPM, or build from source.

OK thanks. I will use --nodeps and do it.

Pelusa