update question (solved)

Mitchell

Hi folks, wondering if anyone has an answer for me , or if this annoying update issue will be fixed in the 2008 distro. Is there some way to get the auto updater to stop telling me about certain packages I don't want to install? Recently noticed that lovely little white exclamation mark in the red circle on the top right hand corner of my screen, and clicked on it to see what new and wondrous updates were available. The latest openoffice was a score, but I'm not interested in all the additional language upgrades. i can't speak czech, am not interested in russian, and my spanish is attrocious. Not to mention the tiny bit of french I speak, definitely not enough to warrant downloading more packages. Sooo.... as in the past I've only chosen what I want, and now I've got this bloody icon lighting up every time I log in to tell me about the language support I don't want. In the past I've just downloaded whatever was there anyway, just to shut that little icon up. I've thought about disabling it, but one thing I really like about Mandriva is all the updates, and the fact that there is a tool which tells you when there are updates available. Is there no way to get it to stop telling you about updates you don't want? This is a hole in this great plan.

Hope someone can help me. Windows XP has this option, and this is one of the few things which seems to be done better by Microsoft...uggghhh. :wall:

Edited by Mitchell

Even better it is only showing you the application that are installed that have updates.

So using MCC check the packages installed and remove the other languages installed.

By default from the Live Cd install "i think" it installs extra European languages since this is a European Distro.

Now once these are deinstalled only the updates for the programs you really want will appear.

That was a good question since i had the same.. before...

You may want to keep the french some packages have a requirement for this even though they run in English..

Microsoft -- :wall: where does it tell you all the other applications installed need upgrade, Each application needs its own updater checker..

Edited by michaelcole

Or I think there is a config file for urpmi that tells about packages you don't want to upgrade. This file is used notably for kernels (or used to be; I don't know with the new naming scheme and the -latest thing).

Yves.