mandriva-linux-2007-spring-dvd.i586

kingsan07

No, I'm not sure you understand.

Linux cannot be installed onto NTFS or FAT32 partitions. It has to be installed on ext2/ext3/reiserfs/xfs/jfs or another Linux-based file system. Until you understand this, you will never install any version of Linux on your system.

Did you resize and leave some free space to install Linux on your hard disk? If C:, D: and E: are using all the space on your hard disk, you won't be able to install Linux until you make some free space. Stop making partitions with NTFS/FAT32 and think that Linux will install into it - it won't.

No, I'm not sure you understand.

Linux cannot be installed onto NTFS or FAT32 partitions. It has to be installed on ext2/ext3/reiserfs/xfs/jfs or another Linux-based file system. Until you understand this, you will never install any version of Linux on your system.

Did you resize and leave some free space to install Linux on your hard disk? If C:, D: and E: are using all the space on your hard disk, you won't be able to install Linux until you make some free space. Stop making partitions with NTFS/FAT32 and think that Linux will install into it - it won't.

How to Make free space in Hard disk..... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Sorry but I don't think you are really taking any notice of what you have been advised.

It seems that you do know that Windows uses FAT, FAT32 or NTFS as the format of its partitions.

What you have to understand is that Linux uses none of those formats. It uses mostly ext3 and there are others as well but we won't bother with them here for the moment. (Please other members, lets help keep it simple for this person)

You need to clear one of the Windows partitions of any data so that is free space.

The reason for this is so Linux can reformat that clear partition from FAT32 (or NTFS) to a Linux format of ext3.

Windows cannot be installed onto a Linux formatted partition and Linux cannot be installed onto a Windows formatted partition.

The conversion of the empty Windows partition to a Linux partition will be done during the install process so you do not have to do this before you start the install.

Now the next major point.

No doubt you downloaded the Mandriva OS from somewhere. When you look at the downloaded package you will see its title ends in .iso.

This means that it has to be burnt to DVD as an ISO. Therefore you must use a burner program that specifically burns it as an ISO. Nero as used in Windows can be used to do such an ISO burn but you must make certain that you select the correct settings.

You must not unpack, open up or disassemble the ISO before burning it to DVD. If you do then the DVD will not boot...ever....fullstop.

If you think that Linux is just a free clone of Windows then you are on the wrong path. Linux does things differently to achieve what ever Windows can do. On top of that It does it more efficiently, more securely and more safely and even does things that Windows cannot do such as Live CDs (which can run an entire operating system on your computer without ever being installed on it). So in many ways you have to forget the Windows way of doing things and learn the Linux way of doing things and its not hard at all.

Please don't use the pink letters entirely for your posts. If you look around MUB you will notice no one else does. When other members use coloured letters they generally only use it for occasional words to emphasize that word. Doing all pink words make the sentences seem to be anger and I am sure that is not your intention.

I hope this gets you started OK.

John.

Thanks for ur comment's Aussie john

I have Burned the Iso with IMG Burn Before itself & i have deleted my G & F Drive now....

I am unable to move beyond that Blue screen in the Installation process.......

Ian in the kernel msg i typed linux acpi=off & it showed

hda lost interrupt

Now my hard disk is 50GB free

What should i do know...............

Edited by kingsan07

You have made some progress. Good.

Let us see how that following goes. Try adding the following ..... noapic.......nolapic..... and....pci=nomsi ..........in addition to the acpi=off that you added earlier. If that does not work then try removing all the added noapic, nolapic and acpi=off, leaving only the added pci=nomsi

If this works then you will need to add this to the boot parameters so you don't have to do this procedure every time you reboot

It could also be that your burned DVD may be faulty.

If it is at all possible do a fresh download of the iso because the it seems that the DVD may be corrupted and therefore faulty. Also, to make certain that you get a good and faultless burn, burn the DVD at the slowest speed possible and not on auto or Max speed.

See if this helps.

Cheers. John.

• 2 weeks later...