Strange urpmi behaviour [solved]

Guest Jack Shotton

Guest Jack Shotton

I've been using Easy urpmi to add repositories. If I choose an arbitrary mirror do urpmi.addmedia using it, then it will sit there for about half an hour before giving me a message that wget failed. However, if I first use wget to download a package from the repository, and then delete that package, then urpmi.addmedia works fine. Now, as it works, I'm not too bothered, but it would be interesting if anyone knew what was going on.

Thanks,

Jack

Does wget give you any more specific of an error when you try do the urpmi.addmedia? Something like, could not connect to host, or similar. Also, if you have the update mirrors I would suggest ensuring you have the most recent updates. Last, if this isn't reproducible over several sessions, spread out over a period of time (i.e. happened one day, and again, a few days later), it could simply have been an error in the mirror at the time you tried to access it.

Guest Jack Shotton

The error message I get is "...retrieving failed: wget failed: exited with 1"

I'm slowly updating my system; however, to access one of the mirrors, I have to first access it on firefox, and then I can do urpmi --auto-select. It then downloads and installs around 5 updated packages, before disconnecting from the internet (and this occurs at the wireless router, so that I have to unplug it and plug it back in, then log out, then log in, then repeat ad nauseam).

The problem is reproducible on at least 2 mirrors, today and yesterday.

Should this be moved to the networking section?

Jack

can you post the contents of both your /etc/urpmi/urpmi.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf files? One of the solutions I saw suggested for a similar issue was to add the following two lines to modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

if they aren't already there. I'm looking around for other possible solutions but, that is a very generic error message from wget and doesn't help us determine the source of the problem much, and I'm not sure where else to look for more clues at this point.

Guest Jack Shotton

Hey, I installed curl and edited /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg to make it the default and everything works just fine! Now why should that be?

Thanks everyone,

Jack

Edited by Jack Shotton

Hey, I installed curl and edited /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg to make it the default and everything works just fine! Now why should that be?
I would guess because the problem was with wget, and by removing wget from the process you've bypassed...er...fixed the problem.