Wifi manager?

peter2

Well I am not sure if there is an rpm. When I installed wicd, it was on my laptop running Kubuntu :unsure:

I am not at a linux box right now. Later when I am at home I will see if there is a wicd rpm in the repositories for my Mandriva 2005 desktop machine. But this is not the best approach perhaps as you are undoubtedly working with a newer version of Mandriva and the repositories will be different.

Can anybody out there running Mandriva 2007 verify if wicd is in the repositories?

Can anybody out there running Mandriva 2007 verify if wicd is in the repositories?
Nope, it's not in the repos.

@ peter2- I'm not currently using wifi with Mandriva, or I would install and check it for you. I did take a look at the wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2, it is already built, but it has to be extracted to / for it to work.

but there aren't any files, just empty folders...
Try to d/l it again, because mine is ok. It's 70.1 KB.

OK, I've taken a closer look at this file. I believe it will work ok with Mandriva, with a small modification... however I can't check it for you. If you want to give it a try, you will need to create a temp directory on your system. Then d/l the wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2 to that directory. Now open a terminal and cd to the /temp you have made. Then

tar -xvjf wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2

then

rm wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2

then

mkdir etc/rc.d

then

mv etc/init.d etc/rc.d/

then

tar -cvjf wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2 etc opt usr

Then as root (su to root)

cd /

then

tar -xvjf /path/to/temp/wicd_1.3.1-src.tar.bz2

replacing /path/to/temp/ with your real path to the file. It's easier then it looks. :)

Disclaimer: I have not tried to use this app on Mandriva, so I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong during the install, or after it's installed. :D

but there aren't any files, just empty folders...

True! :o Just checked the latest file at Sourceforge, and its borked.

Apparently, a Sourceforge mirroring error... please notify the developer to fix the issue (reupload).

Try another link, for example http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge...3.1-src.tar.bz2

This one is OK, unlike other SF mirrors...

To have it compiling and running properly, you will need pygtk, dbus-python and gtk2 (or gtk1, which is liter - and uglier...), plues their corresponding devel packages (probably not all of the devel packages, but install them to be on the safe side).

By the way if you are exclusively a KDE user, then knetworkmanager should work fine for you. If using another desktop, you will be less lucky with it, though.

Edited by scarecrow

• 2 weeks later...
I dl'ed the archive and extracted it to my home folder. But what then; There's nothing to make or anything. How have folks installed it?

That's what my instructions I've posted above are for. :)

You will need these dependencies installed for it to work: python, python-gtk, python-gtk-glade, pygtk2, pygtk2.0-libglade, gtk+2, dbus-python, wpa_supplicant.

Hey, thanks Greg2. I got it working!

I was having hard time getting it running, but as root I had to do this to get it operating.

[root@localhost dude67]# service wicd start
  Stopping any running daemons...
  Starting wicd daemon...
  /opt/wicd
  wicd daemon: pid 7407
  [root@localhost dude67]# /opt/wicd/gui.py
  attempting to connect daemon...
  success
  starting...

I'm still not certain how to make sure it restarts when I reboot, but I'll know soon enough.

Hey, thanks Greg2. I got it working!

I'm glad it works for you, and thanks for testing it with Mandriva! :)

In a terminal as root do

ln -s /opt/wicd/tray.py ~/.kde/Autostart/tray.py

if you want it in your tray at startup.

What wireless card do you have? Now that I know it works, I'll make an rpm. When Mandriva 2008 is released I'll install it with Xfce 4.4.1 on my laptop, and give wicd a try.