I loved mandriva-one liveCD but

Guest ICEcoffee

Guest ICEcoffee

I have been trying out various Distros ver the past 3 days and found Mandriva-one to be the most approachable. Despite installing a dual booted ubuntu 7.04 with my WinXP install, there was various issues including forced to use low-res display (maybe intel driver issues?). Anyway, I used the Mandriva-one liveCD today and really liked it. Whilst it wasn't all problem free, I feel if a proper Dual boot installation would reflect my liveCD experience (only faster) then I would have done this and then sought help with the other issues, one by one. But I got a mailing from mandriva today (I'm on the mailing list), telling me of the forthcoming 2008 release. Should I install 2007 and hope to iron out issues (setup and configuration of SMB network so I can access files on my windows partition, and I'd like to test Windows XP running under Linux in a VM), or should I wait 3 months for the 2008 release? I can't live without Windows as there are high end apps used for business, that only Mac and Windows can run.

I am keen to give Linux a real go, but I don't want to rush in......

Thanks

Personally I'd dive right in now with 2007.1 (Spring). You'll learn a lot playing with the system and a lot of that will be useful for when (or if) you upgrade to 2008.

Unless you see something on the list of new features for 2008 that you can't live without, just dive in. You don't lose anything by using Spring for a while, which is after all stable with lots of nice bug fixes applied to it!

Why wait ? Try it now ! :mandriva:

I can't live without Windows as there are high end apps used for business, that only Mac and Windows can run.

- what apps ?

For me this would be gaming! B)

Although there are more and more games playable on Linux either directly (e.g. some ID games) or through Wine.

Oh, and some video compilation problems I still haven't mastered in Linux yet (stress on 'yet').

Well, I'm still waiting for my son (now 4) to grow up a bit to by "him" a console... :lol2:

Hmm.... perhaps for his fifth birthday this winter... :)

if you like what you see and want more "experience" before you commit try MCNL www.mcnlive.org as well as theres a forum a little lower on this list.

It's my favorite MDV distro for several reasons:

1) its a VERY fast very trim fully functional KDE based mandriva LIVE cd

2) its an even FASTER hard drive installed version of mandriva

3) (my favorite) if you go to http://www.thehess.org/Rollyourown1.html you can learn how to INSTALL a regular 2007.1 (spring) edition to your HD and then create a live dvd out of it!

but thats MY 3 cts.

a LOT of us are hoping that kris will remaster a 2008 version, but she has done SO much work this year on various 2007 models it wouldnt surprise me for her to take a much deserved break

Guest ICEcoffee
Why wait ? Try it now ! :mandriva:

- what apps ?

Photoshop CS2 (and before you say it, GIMP is not even close OMHO), Flash 8, Dreamweaver CS2, Premiere Pro 2, Quickbooks (and no, there isn't a professional equivalent for Linuxxxxxx, well none that I have found), Dragon naturally speaking, navicat (MySQL front end), Norton Ghost and Textbridge.

With the exception of the last 3, the rest are imperative to my business.

So dual boot is probably the only way forward.