Software management issues

Guest timboellis

Guest timboellis

I jsut tried Mandriva on an off chance as last time I used it nothign would work on my PC this was over a year ago but now ......how things have changed everythign works fine apart from.........

The software repositeries how do you add them, i tried through a tutorial and advised to add one example of urpmi.addmedia --update plf-nonfree ftp://spirit.bentel.sk/mirrors/plf/mandri...se/binary/i586/ with hdlist.cz

from the terminal but it just sits there I have left it for abotu 10-15 mins or does it take this long?

No, the hdlist.cz files contain a full description of repository sites, so they are quite big. In 2007.0 (and 2007.1?) I noticed that there was no more messages displayed by curl about downloading progress when installing a repo for the first time (fixed again in 2008). This could be one reason: Your progress would simply not be displayed, but yet active.

Download time depends on your internet connection speed. If you wait more than 20min on a DSL connection, something is definitely wrong. In that case, try another mirror or CTRL-C to break and retry again. Some mirrors tend to stall downloads more or less permanently (but sometimes more or less work shortly after). :-(

Guest timboellis

Please can someone help mebeen on various linux disros this week Mandriva being the best so far apart from the software install, I have managed to get all the sources loaded, however when I go into software management and install anything I am trying Evolution right now been up with the loading bar for installing it and nothing else for the last 20 mins same thing if I try Amsn and some others does not fetch the files jsut sits there.

Any suggestions before I have to go back to Windows ?

Also when addign the sources it would not add them in the commant until I brought the address up in the browser if i did nto load i the browser them add the source it would just freeze , coudl this be my network at issue regardign ports etc.

Thanks

Tim

Guest timboellis

Sorry never realised it was the same thing, however I am now getting the software install freeze on me, it will find the RPM but when I go to install it it comes up with the progress bar and nothing more, however there are option within the software management do i need to change anything in here?

Guest timboellis

I left the software manager installing a package which froze and could not cancel it, however as I could not switch the pc off as I was downloading an ISO i niticed it did start to download itafter about 1 hour, I am on DSL 8 meg and downloding an ISO at 600kbps so not a connection issue i suspect I have tried various mirrors with no joy.

Some questions you should answer before we do any else:

1. is ipv6 disabled on your system?

2. is the firewall disabled?

3. have you tried using the synthesis.hdlist.cz files instead of the bigger hdlist.cz files already?

4. which ethernet-card do you have?

5. have you used only the graphical tools or have you tried installing/upgrading/... from the command-line, too? (if you know how to do that, of course.)