sound problems [solved]

Guest CJNINE

Guest CJNINE

i have mandriva 2007 free and i can't get my soundcard to work with mandriva it worked with fedora 7 and windows xp it's a sb live sound card please let me know what to do thanks

i have mandriva 2007 free and i can't get my soundcard to work with mandriva it worked with fedora 7 and windows xp it's a sb live sound card please let me know what to do thanks

Welcome on board

Please open konsole, and write this

lspci |grep Multimedia

and show us the output.

Guest Steppenwolf

Should I start a new thread or take over this one? :-)

I've got the same problem like the original poster: an old PC (ISA?) sound card, a Soundblaster AW64 I think, isn't enabled by Mandrake Spring 2007 (Free). With the previously installed Opensuse 10.1 (which I kicked because of the MS deal) the same soundlaster worked, so basically it will "somehow" I guess.

Doing "lspci" doesn't list any "multimedia" devices.

Where should I look at next?

How could I report the relevant boot messages concerning the sound card? Because when Mandriva boots and I hit ESC, there are a few lines saying something about the sound card.

Thanks!

an old PC (ISA?) sound card, a Soundblaster AW64 I think, isn't enabled by Mandrake Spring 2007 (Free).

If you are sure that this is an ISA card:

You will need to install isapnptools and isapnptools-devel with your package manager or urpmi. Then if you reboot it may pick it up? If not, look in /lib/modules/your-kernel-version/kernel/sound/isa/sb, the module should be there? I would suggest trying snd-sbawe with, as root

modprobe snd-sbawe

then with your gui hardware manager, or in a terminal as root using

alsamixer

see if your card is working. If not, try another module in the same directory. When you have found a working module, you can add it to /etc/modprobe.preload so it loads at boot. Please let us know it you have any questions?

How could I report the relevant boot messages concerning the sound card?

Please post the output of

dmesg