Wlan Usb and Drake Connect

Guest Steppenwolf

Guest Steppenwolf

Wlan Usb (Sis162u) can't be configured with Drake

Hello, I fail miserably to make a Wlan USB device with SIS chipset to work permanently with Ndiswrapper on my Mandrake 2007.1 Spring (Free).

The Wlan USB device is from Allnet and has got

Chipset: Sis162u

usbid: 0846:4230

Driver: sis162u driver from

Several people report on ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net that the device worked, with SIS driver version 1.00 and 1.05 and up to date Ndiswrapper versions: here (driver version 1.05) and here

My Mandrake Spring version has been updated online according to the suggested packages when I selected the official Mandrake mirrors which it collected from the Mandriva server.

I tried Mandrakes Hardware configurator (GUI) to enable the Wlan USB device permanently, but when I select Ndiswrapper plus WinXP driver, it loads the .info etc files and then freezes the computer...

(By the way, an AVM Wlan USB device with TI chipset works perfectly with the very same configurator GUI.)

However I can manually enable the Wlan USB with SIS chipset device, like explained on ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net, including steps like:

ndiswrapper -i filename.inf

depmod -a

modprobe ndiswrapper

iwconfig

No freezing at all. This way I get a connection but at the next reboot it's gone and I've to do all the steps again. :-(

But how would I make this permanent? Or how could I still use the nice GUI configurator, because I'm not expert at all when it comes to the Console... ?

Ndiswrapper in my Mandrive tells me it's version 1.8 -- how's that possible?

Edited by Steppenwolf

that's an internal version. The public version of ndiswrapper in 2007 Spring is 1.22, which is rather out of date, and I have been able to resolve problems in Spring before by updating ndiswrapper.

You can get it working permanently just by setting the appropriate config files manually. To help you do this, I need to know the details of your networking set up. Do you use DHCP (automatic IP address) or static IP address? Is there any encryption on the network, WEP or WPA? Thanks.

Guest Steppenwolf

Hi Adamw, thanks for your reply!

that's an internal version. The public version of ndiswrapper in 2007 Spring is 1.22, which is rather out of date, and I have been able to resolve problems in Spring before by updating ndiswrapper.

Oh, I see.

I searched in the Mandriva Software package Manager for ndiswrapper but didn't find a version. How could I use a newer version?

You can get it working permanently just by setting the appropriate config files manually.

That would be great.

To help you do this, I need to know the details of your networking set up. Do you use DHCP (automatic IP address) or static IP address? Is there any encryption on the network, WEP or WPA? Thanks.

While DHCP is possibly here, I would prefer a static IP adress, for example 192.168.1.2 . The WLAN network is WEP encrypted.

Edited by Steppenwolf

Guest Steppenwolf

Since the sis163 U chip device doesn't work very nice with my Linux PC, I've kicked it and use the AVM Fritz USB Wlan stick now, because with pleasure I found AVMs native Usb Wlan driver for Linux here (it's from July 2007) :

http://www.avm.de/files/cardware/fritzwlan...e.10.2/info.txt

Compiled it according to the instructions with no problem on Mandriva 2007 Linux. How could AVM add this nice distribution to their supported Linux distribution list?

Anyway, now I've got a native driver for the Wlan USB stick and it works fine.

However, next to enabling "activate on boot" I had to disable the "hot pluggin" option in the GUI network configurator of Drake Conf. With it being enabled, the connection to the router hasn't been enabled by default at boot time of the Linux PC, but you've had to select it manually in the KNet applet in the systray.

Being at KNet applet in the systray: it now shows a bad connection level (ret bars), although the connection level is goto (should be green).

How could I fix this problem?