9.1 update hangs rebuilding RPM db

Guest jsgoodridge

Guest jsgoodridge

I am updating from 9.0 to 9.1 and all goes well untill the update is searching for installed packages and rebuilding the RPM database. Disk goes for a few minutes and then nothing. I let it sit overnight - same screen. So I am still on 9.0. I tried twice more with the same result.

Any ideas ?

Yes, the md5sums are good.

JonG

P.S. This is a repeat post from the old bboard, which never got any replies and didn't carry over to the new bboard.

You say update, but I assume you mean upgrade. If you look at some of the posts on the board I think you will find ample evidence to support the conclusion that upgrading from 9.0 to 9.1 simply doesn't work. You have to do a fresh install. IMHO the upgrade install option is only useful if you already have 9.1 installed. Then you can update software packages or detect hardware changes and update your system. However, I'm not even too sure about this.

Bottom line, save your home partition and do a clean install.

Guest jsgoodridge

Your right I meant "upgrade".

This is a bug not a feature!

Previously the 8.2 to 9.0 upgrade went smoothly.

This does not help the commercializtion of Linux in the market place.

JonG

Im my case, upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0 failed badly, but that was due to another bug. I used LM9.0 ISOs from hard-drive. The installer simply loaded ISO1, did not bother to look/ask for ISO2 and ISO3, then created a list of packages half of whom were not on ISO1. Naturally, it gave tons of "missing packages" and I was left with a mixed 8.2/9.0 system. The same bug continues in LM9.1.

1. Upgrade from ISO will always be incomplete, since it never reads for ISO2 and ISO3.

2. Upgrade from CD (even when u have all CDs) can be buggy too.

Frankly, mandrake upgrade is a buggy feature at best. The best way out is to do a clean install while keeping you /home partition intact.