Installing from SCSI DVD

Guest Shadowscorn

Guest Shadowscorn

Mandriva Free Spring 2007.1

Fromt eh bootable DVD it seems unable to detect the drive and hence won't install. I've checked for further install options Here but I assume I am doing something wrong. I've set up GRUBforDOS but the instructions for it left me a little mystified: how do I mount the image to start the installation? I also tried using a boot CD, which of course runs into the same problem as the full DVD - unable to find the CDROM/DVD device.

Any ideas?

It's not necessarily that you're doing something wrong - if you have a very new system the drive controller may not be supported by the kernel, which would result in this.

Can you tell us what drive controller your system has? If you don't know, the motherboard model and whether you're using SATA or IDE hard drives would be enough to let us work it out.

Thanks!

First- is it REALLY a SCSI DVD? Or probably a SATA one?

Asus P5B is using the "dreaded" Jmicron sata/pata controller. This controller is properly supported since kernel 2.6.18.3, but Mandriva Spring has backported drivers for it (I have booted without issues with it on my mobo, which is very similar- namely P5B-VM). It boots both from SATA and PATA CD-ROM's, but not from a SCSI Ultraplex40 hooked on an Adaptec 3930 SCSI card- this actually is a BIOS limitation.

There's no special setting you should enable in BIOS, unless you have enabled software RAID for the SATA controller. In that case, I have no idea if it works or not. I "think" Jmicron soft RAID works without issues with kernel 2.6.20 or better, but since I have never enabled its RAID I can't confirm.

At worst, you could try to boot from an external USB CD-ROM. This is guaranteed to work, and all you have to do is enter BIOS and enable legacy USB mode.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Shadowscorn
First- is it REALLY a SCSI DVD? Or probably a SATA one?

Thanks, I'll check this out. I knew there were issues with earlier kernels (haveing had to use and external device to get a slackware install going at one point).