ZONBU computers

mindwave

It's obviously been a while since this thread started but I thought I'd add some notes based on my experient.

Firstly, you can now buy the Artigo Pico-ITX kit that Via puts out for about $300. If comes with everything except the HDD and RAM. You get a 1 GHz PC that has an up-to-date chipset and features and can run Windows XP and multiple versions of Linux. It is really small. I tried one out earlier in the year but returned it since Via doesn't have "proper" Linux support for the graphics chipset. I had to use the VESA driver which meant that doing anything graphical was really slow. As well, with a limit of 1GB RAM options were limited for MS Windoze. This system did have a built in fan that cooled the CPU and case, which was a little annoying.

I've also found and am still using a small embedded PC I built using using an Alix 3c3 embedded device. The board has video, audio, LAN, built-in 256MB RAM, CF-slot, Mini-PCI slot all powered by a 500MHz Geode LX processor. Now this PC isn't a power house, but it's silent. I put in a Mini-PCI Wifi card I cannibalized from an Airlink 101 AWLL3025 PCI card. I had it running XFce on MDV 2008.1 and it was able to play DivX movies without any problems. The only storage options you have are CF or USB. I'm using an 8GB Micro-drive so I'm safe for lots of writing. But this could be a great silent PC with the OS booting of a Read-only CF and using the USB as storage.

sounds pretty cool, actually I have one of the artigo kits marked in my EBAY watch.

now i just need an extra $300 to fall from the sky.....

since what i'm really wanting is a simplistic car PC to act as a HUGE mp3 player, it sounds like it would be perfect. I'll probably use "wolvix" as thats what I have running on my Via C3 pc now. Its the best distro I could find to run that machine. Because as you suggested, the linux/graphics issues drive me up the WALL.

J

Mindwave,

It's possible that generic drivers would work but at this time, no one, either Via or the Unichrome developers have a properly working driver. I think it is possible to get limited 2D support, but not 3D, XvMC, DRI, etc.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.