Mandriva 2007 Free and Brother printer

Guest wamadeus

Guest wamadeus

I am quite new with Mandriva. I have used Fedora Core 6. My problem is as usual the printerinstallation. I have got Brother MFC210C and the drivers, two rpm-files from Brother, one for LPR and one for CUPS. I can remember using Ubuntu 6.06 that I have to make a new directory in order to get the drivers in the right folder. With Fedora Core 6 it was just to click on the two rpm-files and all went right at the spot. In Ubuntu it is a little more tricky, but how then with Mandriva? Do I have to make a special folder, or what..? I find Mandriva quite interesting, even from a swedish point of view.

You probably just have to install the two rpms since mandriva is rpm based like fedora. Just click on the rpm files and you will be prompted for the root password. Then the install will complete or you may get an error message explaining why the install was aborted. That's the first thing to try.

Guest wamadeus
You probably just have to install the two rpms since mandriva is rpm based like fedora. Just click on the rpm files and you will be prompted for the root password. Then the install will complete or you may get an error message explaining why the install was aborted. That's the first thing to try.

well, thank You for answering but I have done that what You are suggesting. Brother does not show up in the printerlist in CUPS, http://localhost:631

I tried with another PC and installed the earlier version Man 2006, and at that time all was OK. It is a little mystery but perhaps I will go back to that edition, installing the printer, and then, if possible run som upgrading.

Guest wamadeus
The provided drivers are a mess - actually quite hard to install properly.

There is a thorough guide made by an Ubuntu user HERE which you'd probably adapt yourself for Mandriva - since it's quite unlikely that such a guide exists for it.

In fact, it is required that Brother-cupswrapper need csh. I have tried urpmi -i install csh but withous success

Guest fredstah
In fact, it is required that Brother-cupswrapper need csh. I have tried urpmi -i install csh but withous success

I think you need tcsh instead of csh.