Can't Connect to router

Guest lew

Now before anyone tells me to start looking at files, I *also* have this problem with an ftp install. I've tried installing Spring 07, the AMD 64 version from last fall *and* the current boot.iso for an ftp install. I have tried the onboard NIC, VIA southbridge, a VIA gigabit PCI NIC and an old standby RTL 8139 PCI NIC.

I know the hardware works because I've got it working with a Ubuntu 7.04 install. Yet nothing I do allows me to even ping a router. (I've tried three different ones!!!)

With the ftp boot.iso, it gets to the point where it tries to get a DHCP connection and waits several minutes before returning an error saying it failed to receive a DHCP reply. The weird part is that it sees whichever NIC I install and "brings up" the card but won't connect it.

a VIA gigabit PCI NIC and an old standby RTL 8139 PCI NIC.

OK, just to be sure: In terminal do

lspci |grep Ethernet

to see if it is indeed an RTL8139 Ethernet, and to determine what the other NIC is (please post your results)? If it is an RTL8139, in terminal do

modprobe -l |grep forcedeth

to see if the forcedeth module is available with your kernel. If it is, do

lsmod  |grep forcedeth

to see if it's loaded and used. Please post the output if you're not sure... Please let us know either way?

Can we work from the VT6102 that is currently in the computer? I'd have to take everything apart again to put the 8139 back in.

edit: nevermind. Went ahead and put the RTL 8139 back in. After the first cmd "lspci |grep Ethernet" the response was "Ethernet controller: Realtek Simiconductor Co etc." showing that the NIC is indeed an RTL 8139D. The next cmd "modprobe etc" returned the location of the "forcedeth.ko.gz" file. The third cmd "lsmod etc" had no response at all. Not even an error msg. Just returned to the cmd line.

The third cmd "lsmod etc" had no response at all. Not even an error msg. Just returned to the cmd line.

Try

modprobe forcedeth

post any errors, if it doesn't load.

If there are no errors do

lsmod  |grep forcedeth

please post the output, if you're not sure if it's being used. Alternately (if it's being used, and you don't want to wait on me), you can go to your network gui from mcc and delete all your current network connections, then make a new one with this card. If you have any problems, get back. When I have more time, if you want... I will check on your other card?

Try
modprobe forcedeth

post any errors, if it doesn't load.

If there are no errors do

lsmod  |grep forcedeth

please post the output, if you're not sure if it's being used. Alternately (if it's being used, and you don't want to wait on me), you can go to your network gui from mcc and delete all your current network connections, then make a new one with this card. If you have any problems, get back. When I have more time, if you want... I will check on your other card?

Output:

forcedeth	   32396  0

Isn't there supposed to be a space between the vertical bar and grep as in lsmod | grep ???.

Meaning there should be a space on each side of | .

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Doesn't matter with the space, grep will still work. It's just nicer and easy to ensure spaces so it's easier to read. The command will work in either of these:

lsmod|grep forcedeth
lsmod |grep forcedeth
lsmod | grep forcedeth

I always use spaces, since it's proper formatting and easier to read what is going on. But it doesn't affect the output of results. No space between grep and forcedeth would have been a problem.

Also, maybe it's something to do with ipv6 being enabled. I've had this with realtek 8139 cards before, so maybe add this line to /etc/modprobe.conf and then reboot to see if it makes a difference:

alias net-pf-10 off

OK, add forcedeth to /etc/modprobe.preload, so it loads at boot.

Please post the output of

cat /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

and as root

ifconfig

I'm very busy today, but I will try to get back here this afternoon.

I'm assuming from this that I have to install if first and then hope to get it to work 'cause I don't know how to modify file on a boot.iso or LiveCD. Correct?

I'm assuming from this that I have to install if first

I'm sorry, I thought you had this installed? :huh:

Then I would suggest that you use the VT6102, because after a quick search I found this thread.

It clearly shows that it will work, with maybe one small edit to /etc/modprobe.preload.