Updating installation to kernel ..14mdv

I'm updating a new mandriva installation, taking the kernel from -13mdv (legacy) to the bugfix -14mdv, and I'm getting a problem with kernel modules not working any more.

So far, I did the update on a desktop machine (in order to solve the hangup bug when opening-up/closing down with a USB device plugged in). The new -14mdv kernel boots up fine and I get the GUI to start fine. (The box also shuts down without a hangup/freeze when the USB device is still plugged in -- which I understood to be the purpose of the bugfix. So far so good, but that's still not quite problem-free, becase in the presence of the USB device during shutdown, the video display goes to snow. It does at least shutdown though, and there was no 'improper shutdown' to cause complaint at the next bootup.)

But one effect of the kernel update now is that the kernel modules (non-updated) 'complain' during init. They give exit messages with 'bad build' message no.8.

Any ideas what can I do about this? In part it's been a good lesson already, because some of the non-functioning kernel modules identified themselves as not needed at all. So I could simply uninstall their packages without loss, for quicker boot/init time (e.g. not-needed drivers for not-present video hardware).

However, the HAL daemon is one of the 'bad build' non-installers. I can't uninstall that (even for the sole purpose of re-installing) because urpmi would want to take away, uninstall, zillions of other important packages at the same time as it removes HAL. I'm afraid that if I let this happen, the cure would be worse than the disease....

I would like to get HAL back to order again (partly because in the present state the machine takes an appreciably longer length of time than it did before to recognise a newly-plugged USB device... I'm guessing that possibly the absence of the effective HAL kernel module could be contributory).

Also, on another machine (laptop) I am contemplating doing the update, to the bugfix kernel -14mdv (legacy), the laptop is currently at -13mdv. But the laptop depends crucially on a kernel module for its wireless network connectivity. So I don't want to risk doing a kernel update there, until I'm confident that the question is solved of fixing up kernel modules to play happily with the new 'bugfix' kernel.

I installed the stripped kernel sources for the new kernel when updating the kernel for the desktop -- because I guessed that might be important for getting kernel modules to play ok. But that doesn't seem to be effective at least on its own.

I can't find any other instructions for adapting kernel modules to an updated kernel -- and any useful pointers would be appreciated.

Terry

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Just a hint: Install another kernel from /contrib, boot WITH it, and then reinstall 14.

Something might have gone wrong while updating, and some things weren't updated properly (although this was an issue along time ago, nowadays you're supposed to be able to update your kernel "on-the-fly" without issues).

i think you're totally right on the HAL comment. HAL is supposed to make your Linux experience much better by monitoring immediate changes to connected devices adn other software.

Just a hint: Install another kernel from /contrib, boot WITH it, and then reinstall 14.

Something might have gone wrong while updating, and some things weren't updated properly (although this was an issue along time ago, nowadays you're supposed to be able to update your kernel "on-the-fly" without issues).

Thanks for the hint. I still have the ...13 kernel as a boot option. Would the point that you're suggesting be achieved, if I boot again with ...13 and reinstall ...14? (I assume that means uninstall first and then install again.) If not, is there another specific kernel I should use instead? (I'm getting lost among all the kernel variants I'm afraid).

HAL does not use a kernel module. Nothing to do with HAL needs to be rebuilt against the new kernel.

What's happening is you're being confused by the parallel initialization system, in which several services can be started simultaneously to speed boot. You're getting a failure from some *other* kernel module at the same time as HAL is starting up, I expect. To clear things up, you can add 'nopinit' as a kernel parameter: this will disable the pinit system and revert to one-service-at-a-time boot. That way, no messages should get confused and you should be able to see exactly what is having trouble.

What you normally need to do to resolve this problem is to boot to another kernel (yes, 13mdv should be fine) and install the kernel-source-stripped-latest package.