User can't be switched [solved]

Guest cappa72

Guest cappa72

Dear Members,

I have got a problem with DMV2007.1 Spring.

After the installation and seeting up I could realise that "logout" and "switch user" give me a balnk screen with frozen computer (really frozen computer).

The ALT-CTRL-Backspace works with 99% confidence level, but it is not the most comfortable solution to change user or log out.

In my laptop there is an ATI redeon x1100 graphic card and it work with the proprietary driver (downloaded from plf repo).

I tried change user in GDM as well as KDM. The result was the same, frozen system. (An I also observed it using the One version). Could it be the problem or?

Has anybody faced with this kind of problem?

If faced - is there any solution?

Thank you in advance.

edited - note: newbee I am.

ps: I am really sad because of it because Mandriva2007.1 is much more stable than 2007.0 was; almost everything I want - works (suspend and easygprs not but those are other stories), so I really like it.

Edited by cappa72

Guest cappa72
Sounds very similar to my bugreport: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=30724

So, if I understand well, the kernel update can solve the the problem.

Sounds good.

Anyway, I tried to do some things before kernel update. Namely it were ati driver installation because some people assumed that it could be ati driver bug. And the third experiment solved the log-out / switch user inadequacy.

I installed the 8.38 (latest) ati driver without --buildpkg. Jur only run the ati*.run file.

The problem disappeared. The Compiz works correcty.

Do you think I need to update the kernel?

Thank you,

Cappa

Guest cappa72

Sorry, did not read it carefully.

In the present case I am happy with my solution and it works. I hope it will not change.

modified (12th July 2007): the 8.38 driver works well only in the case of first log in. After a log out, the driver was changed back to mesa.

So I installed the 8.37 :

sh ati-driver-installer-8.37*.run

In order to avoid surprises I log in and out ten times and checked the glxinfo (sometimes fgl_glxgears), and worked well.

Hopefully I will not be back to edit this message again (that could mean everithing work well)

Cappa

Edited by cappa72