No GUI after Spring Free Install

Guest david54755

Guest david54755

I've used Mandriva in the past and like it so when I tried another distro that wouldn't support my WIFI I decided to "come back" to Mandriva. I used the Linux Format disk and all seemed to go well. When I rebooted and got to the LILO loader -- and selected linux I found myself at the command line. I reinstalled two or three times and was dismayed to find that I couldn't get the graphic interface to work. Any tips?

Also -- reading Linux Pro magazine I saw mention that Mandriva works with Winmodems -- is that true?

Thanks,

Dave

Welcome aboard.

When I rebooted and got to the LILO loader -- and selected linux I found myself at the command line.
I do not fully understand what you are trying to tell us. Is it that you are dropped to a command-line right after starting lilo or does the system boot up and drop you to a command line afterwards? What graphic-card do you have? I'd say it bombs out simply because of a badly configured X environment (can be fixed by running XFdrake as root) or because the necessary X module was not installed by default.

About Winmodems: Mandriva ONE and powerpack support some Winmodems by default but not all, afaik.

Guest david54755

Sorry to be unclear. After I select linux the system seems to start up find but then it drops me to a command line only version of Mandriva. I can log on but I have no graphic interface. I'll have to check to find the graphic card.

Thanks,

Dave