md5sum: Lesson learned--VICTORY

kmack

I was having trouble figuring out how to do md5sum on new CD's I ordered for ML 9.1. I could not get the md5sum to verify my CD's. I searched this list, read man:md5sum, and thought I understood the process, but no joy. The checksums were off! :cry:

I hate to get beat by a machine! So, I kept reading and trying. Victory! When I finally learned the correct syntax my CD's were verified! Maybe my post will help someone else avoid this mistake.

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ mount /mnt/scd1

mount: block device /dev/scd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ cat /dev/scd1 | md5sum

6f1581974e12420fef87868ed6caa31f  -

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ eject /dev/scd1

87afe11ddef6b619866322aa0797e45f  -

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ eject /mnt/scd1

ff187c7a552722f42790b5726fdb62b3  -

Earlier I tried doing md5sum with the cmd

$cat /mnt/scd1 | md5sum

because I thought I needed to substitute the /dev/scd1 with the /mnt/scd1 WRONG! It won't work properly.

I also tried making an iso of the CD's and doing checksum of each new iso and was wrong as I still used the wrong syntax.

Lesson learned! There is probably a more elegant way to do this, but this worked for me and I am learning as I go. I disabled supermount btw, that is why I am mounting the device manually.

I am not clear why /mnt/scd1 won't work and /dev/scd1 does work but I will keep digging to figure this out. (If you try this at home, you must substitute your own cdrom names here btw) Anyhow, thanks to previous posters and replies that pointed me in the right direction. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!" :D

I think the difference between /mnt/scd1 and /dev/scd1 is that /mnt/scd1 is just the directory in which the cd-rom gets mounted, so that you can access the files. Meanwhile, /dev/scd1 is the actual device, not just it's files.

tyme,

Thanks! Yes, that is my understanding so far. I was totally convinced that I understood the syntax and blindly exchanged them to get wrong results. DUH... guess it is part of learning.

Appreciate your assistance and insight. It really helps me figure this out. :lol:

Here's a link you might be interested in:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

It's a very good article dealing with problems with cd burning but gets into a discusion of md5sums of cds. The article includes a bash script which will eliminate the possibility of read errors affecting the md5sum calculation. It's a little more thorough than your method, perhaps overkill, but I've used it for some time with excellent results.