DNS question

Guest mandrake

Guest mandrake

:? I'm not sure I understand all the in's and out's of how to make DNS work on my mandrake machine. I have my mdk 9.1 machine running on my company network. Our company network is in several different cities. Each location has it's own subnet mask and the entire network has a single domain name. An example of how the network and my mandrake box is setup is:

network:

domain name = wxyz.com

city 1 subnet 11.155.32. ( my local area network location - city 1)

city 2 subnet 11.155.34.

city 3 subnet 11.155.36.

my linux box

hostname = mdk1.wxyz.com

static IP address = 11.155.32.140

is setup as a network client workstation

I assigned the DNS server address and gateway address during setup per the normal dns server and gateway ip addresses that are always used.

Finally, my question: I can access my linux machine from any windows machine in my local area network by hostname. But if I am at any other location, I have to access it using the IP address - the hostname can't be found. My linux machine is the only computer on the network with this problem. Any of the windows or unix machines on my local area network can be reached by hostname from any of the other locations, and I can reach any of the other windows or unix machines in other locations by using the hostname. When I run netconf, the DNS and Gateway addresses are correct. I really need to be able to reach this machine from anywhere on the company network by hostname. I'm not real familiar with the inner workings of DNS so maybe somebody can tell me what else I need to do to fix this. I didn't see any netbios options either so not sure if that applies....

Thanks.....

Guest tezca

okay how are your hostnames setup? through fully qualified hostnames? or through netbios?

what is it that you are trying to access the windows servers from home or outside the work enviroment for?

if its not working its becuase you probably dont have the services that you are trying to access running or you are using a dns without an a recored or cname or something in that order,

dns requires a domain name server with ip address information pointing towards the linux machine .... also if are you trying to access the Linux machine through a webserver? then Apache must be running and you must configure the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to tell the httpd daemon to listen for its name and port on port 80 or 443 or whatever port you want it to listen to.

if you are trying access it as a file server for windows then you must confiure samba

if a sshd server then you don't really need a whole lot of config

but if a mail server yes you need to set it up.

also you must make sure that you have ports open for the services you wish to allow,

Guest mandrake

:) My hostname is setup in the /etc/hosts file as a fully qualified hostname + domain name mdk1.wxyz.com.

Question - How would I set it up through netbios ? I think that may be what I need to do. Many, but not all, of the Windows machines are using DHCP for the IP address and the dns and wins server addresses, and they are also checked to get the netbios settings from the DHCP server. On my linux machine, I didn't see anything about netbios in netconf but I am nowhere near a linux expert - just getting started....

I have telnet and FTP services running and they work, but these services are not the issue.

To simplify this a little, lets talk only about using Ping for now.

What I want to be able to do is:

1. Ping my linux machine by hostname from anywhere on the company network, not just from computers in my local subnet, but from computers on any of the company's other subnets that are also on the same network. Note that this is an internal corporate network only, not the inernet, no dial up connections of any kind, no connecting from home, no outside connections or dial up connections of anykind whatsoever.

What I have right now:

1. I can ping my linux maching by hostname from anywhere on the local subnet.

2. I can NOT ping my machine by hostname from any subnets other than my own. "hostname not found" This is irregardless of whether i do a ping hostname, or if I do a ping hostname.domainname.com.

3. I can ping my linux machine by IP address from all subnets on the network.

I do not need to connect from any source outside my company's network -not dial up, internet or anything else......I just want to be able to ping my linux machine "by hostname" from all company locations on the internal company network.

Thanks, and what else can you tell me about netbios ?

Guest mandrake

I finally got it working. Incase anybody else is as clueless as I was about this, I had to enable the WINS client in Samba in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file..... Hope this saves somebody a little time down the road. Thanks for the help tezca....