Urpmi locking out

Jza

I been experiencing problems with urpmi ever since I re-install it in my system. The urpmi database will not remove the .LOCK and .RPMLOCK files from the /var/lib/urpmi/ directory causing the database to remain lock after an update check up or a different installation.

This is a new 2007.1 'spring' installation with urpmi version 4.9.21

Thanks.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

are you sure it's not locked for a genuine reason? it locks while MandrivaUpdate is checking for updates, for instance. check whether the MandrivaUpdate icon is orange. Also do 'ps -e | grep rpm' to check whether any rpm-related processes are stuck.

are you sure it's not locked for a genuine reason? it locks while MandrivaUpdate is checking for updates, for instance. check whether the MandrivaUpdate icon is orange. Also do 'ps -e | grep rpm' to check whether any rpm-related processes are stuck.

I am having the same problem with urpmi locking. In fact, I have been unable to update anything since setting up Easy-Urpmi. Either I get a 'urpmi database locked' error (mostly), or I get 'no packages found'. I did as adamw suggested and got the following:

[root@localhost Desktop]# ps -e | grep rpm

6251 ? 00:00:04 urpmi.update

When I turned my computer on, it automatically checked for updates. I got a red circle with an exclamation point in the system tray, but when I tried to update I got a 'locked' error. After that I got an orange circle with a question mark. Any ideas? (I am very much a newbie.)

hmm, looks like the urpmi.update process is stuck for some reason. You can kill it like this:

kill -9 6251

note the 6251 is the same as the left-hand side number: that's the unique id number for the process, called the 'pid', and it will always be different, so don't always do kill -9 6251 :). do ps -e | grep rpm first, look at the number, and then do kill -9 [that number]

you'll need to be root. Then you should be able to update your system. If it keeps happening, we'll need to find out why it's getting stuck: let me know.

hmm, looks like the urpmi.update process is stuck for some reason. You can kill it like this:

kill -9 6251

note the 6251 is the same as the left-hand side number: that's the unique id number for the process, called the 'pid', and it will always be different, so don't always do kill -9 6251 :). do ps -e | grep rpm first, look at the number, and then do kill -9 [that number]

you'll need to be root. Then you should be able to update your system. If it keeps happening, we'll need to find out why it's getting stuck: let me know.

Adam,

I killed the update process as you suggested, then I updated using the control center. After a restart, things seem to be working well now. Many thanks.