9.1 RC2 or final? Version question

kmack

I got a set of 9.1 CD's from local cd house (SE Asia) and took a look at them. I note the file dates are 17 Mar 2003. It says 9.1 Bamboo and no mention of being RC version but I suspect that they are not final versions. :cry:

The md5sum's don't match the info on the ML mirrors either, but that could be due to the way they named/burned them if I understand md5sum correctly. It could also be that I am not doing the md5sum properly since I am not an expert by any means! :oops:

There is a file on the CD called VERSION and it reads:

Mandrake Linux 9.1 Bamboo-i586 20030317 17:24

Question: Can anyone verify that this is ML 9.1 RC2? If so, and I go ahead and install, will live update bring it up to final while I am installing?

or... Should I just try to get the 9.1 final and leave this one alone?

My download speed is not currently good enough to get the iso's so I have to find a source for the cd's. TIA!

RC2 came out on March 4th, 2003. If it says 9.1 Bamboo, then most likely it is the final version. There was an "RC3" for a few days, but this just ended up being final-they just disguised it so they could get it to all the mirrors before making the anouncement. As for the md5sums, I can't help ya there :-/

There is a file on the CD called VERSION and it reads:

Mandrake Linux 9.1 Bamboo-i586 20030317 17:24

The file on my CD1 matches yours. And mine is the final.

Wow! You two are fast and very helpful! Thank you!

I feel a bit better now. I was pretty disappointed and concerned about RC2 being a bit buggy for a rookie like me! :oops:

I still cannot get the md5sum to match but hope it is due to the way they were burned. I'll try to install this weekend when my connect speed is generally better so I can do live update while I am at it. :D