Cant print after upgrade to ML9 from 8.2

Guest erimendz

Guest erimendz

Hi all,

Like other printing dilemmas before mine, my headache is also how to print to a shared networked printer running winXP. Before upgrade i was able to solve my printing problem by connection to localhost:631 and manage/configure printer from there. In ML9 i can do the same but when i test print, it just doesnt print. My box is dual-booting ML/winXP and in winblows printing is flawless. All pc's in LAN can print to this HP laserjet 5si printer.

]# lpstat -p -d

lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

]# ping printserver

PING printserver.mshome.net (192.168.0.12) from 192.168.0.116 : 56(84) bytes of data.

]# smbclient -L Printserver -I 192.168.0.12

added interface ip=192.168.0.116 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

Password: (none)<enter>

Domain=[AQPCT SALES] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment

--------- ---- -------

E$ Disk Default share

IPC$ IPC Remote IPC

D$ Disk Default share

print$ Disk Printer Drivers

D Disk

C Disk

5 si Printer HP LaserJet 5Si

E Disk

ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin

C$ Disk Default share

Server Comment

--------- -------

Workgroup Master

--------- -------

when i try to print using smbclient:

]# smbclient //AQPCT SALES/Printserver/5 si -U linuxbox_username

added interface ip=192.168.0.116 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

Domain=[AQPCT SALES] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

i dont know why my printers.conf is empty

]# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.16

# Written by cupsd on Mon 07 Apr 2003 10:15:27 AM GMT

The above is the clearest i can be. I have no firewall installed. We have 1 pc as gateway to internet. If smb.conf is required i can post it next time. Please help.

wonder if part of your problem is the upgrade from 8.2 instead of doing a fresh install. My 9.1 has Cups 1.1.19 and it looks like you have 1.1.16. The upgrade is generally a problem, especially from 8.2 to 9. Assuming your /home is on its own partition a fresh install should not be too big a problem.

Guest erimendz

wonder if part of your problem is the upgrade from 8.2 instead of doing a fresh install. My 9.1 has Cups 1.1.19 and it looks like you have 1.1.16. The upgrade is generally a problem, especially from 8.2 to 9. Assuming your /home is on its own partition a fresh install should not be too big a problem.

hi there,

thanks again for the reply. you gave me idea about that fresh install. i believe i made a separate partition for my /home but i better check again to be sure. yesterday i `urpme samba and cups` then reinstalled them again then tried setting up printer by MCC but still no help, the darn printer is not printing my jobs! funny thing is: when i run lpstat in console it shows print jobs in queu. i suspect one part of problem is my smb.conf. im reading up on samba and will do some more testing. if i fail, will resort to fresh install.

the 1.1.16 is really only telling you what version the config file came with. Since he edited it the new urpmi would not overite his file, instead it would save as .rpmnew or if he used rpmdrake there would be the option to delete, leave alone or use, the new config. i have this problem in openoffice where if i send one use one printer settup nothing prints (jobs are still there). but if i use file menu to select mdk configured printer it works. i can give you a screenshot if this is cryptic.

Guest erimendz

the 1.1.16 is really only telling you what version the config file came with. Since he edited it the new urpmi would not overite his file, instead it would save as .rpmnew or if he used rpmdrake there would be the option to delete, leave alone or use, the new config. i have this problem in openoffice where if i send one use one printer settup nothing prints (jobs are still there). but if i use file menu to select mdk configured printer it works. i can give you a screenshot if this is cryptic.

hi guyz,

guess what.... i can print! followed advise of polemicz like so:

smb://mynetbiosname:password@workgroup/remote_server_name/share_name_of_printer

or something like that in smb uri in printer configuration in MCC->hardware->printers. thank you. im playing around with the print settings as printout looks dark. will reboot my machine too and will print again. will be in touch. bye