Mandrake 9.0 and devfs

Guest Stumbles

Guest Stumbles

After a fresh install of 9.0 and running with whatever defaults I have noticed it takes nearly 60 seconds for the command prompt to appear after enterning the userid/passwd.

Now if I disable (devfs=nomount) devfs, the command prompt appears with in seconds.

No, there are no interrupt conflicts, not running every service know to linux. Just those things needed for samba. Just for grins I off all services and made no difference to login time.

I am sure it is something to do with devfs but have no clue what to do about it at this point except to leave it turned off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I didn't know devfs was responsible but I do know that it only happens once (the first time you log into any window manager. After that if you log out and in again it is quick again.

Glitz.

Guest Stumbles
I didn't know devfs was responsible but I do know that it only happens once (the first time you log into any window manager.  After that if you log out and in again it is quick again.

Glitz.

My bad, was not specific enough. I do not use xdm or any other gui login instead prefer the standard text login prompt. It is that prompt that takes way to long when devfs is active.