Mandrake Failing To Install

ThunderVamp9

I'm trying to install Mandrake Linux 9.0 back on this system after upgrading to a new motherboard, but after the initial screen asking me to either choose options or press Enter, my screen goes blank and the Caps Lock and the Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard start flashing and that's all she wrote. CTRL+ALT+DEL do nothing, the drive stops, no HDD lights to show activity, nothing. Just a hard reset gets it going again.

I thought it might have been my CD's, although I had used them previously with no problems. So, I got new copies and tried them, with the same problem. I tried using my Windows XP CD to make sure it wasn't a problem with booting from CD. That worked fine. I then tried my old Red Hat 7.1 disk. That also started everything fine.

So, I downloaded the new 9.1 and tried that, and the same thing happened yet again.

Any ideas what's going on?

Hardware:

Abit KD7-RAID

Athlon XP 2100+

1.00GB Crucial Registered DDR RAM

60GB HDD (Windows XP Pro)

40GB HDD (MP3 Storage)

10GB HDD (earmarked for Linux)

Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4600

Soundblaster Audigy

3Com 3C905C

Guest PRINCEofNIGHTMARES

I know this doesn't help, but I have the same problem. That is why I'm just installing Mandrake on my laptop. 8) At least you aren't alone.

Guest PRINCEofNIGHTMARES

When I press F1 and type in linux vga=0 I get a lot of words comeing up on the screen, but it suddenly hangs. The solution listed is for 9.1, but I'm isntalling 9.0 Could this be a problem?

When I press F1 and type in linux vga=0 I get a lot of words comeing up on the screen, but it suddenly hangs. The solution listed is for 9.1, but I'm isntalling 9.0 Could this be a problem?

Maybe you could try a text install instead?

Guest PRINCEofNIGHTMARES

I get the same error with the text isntall. I'm going to try it on my laptop tonight to make sure there isn't anything wrong with my cds.

Guest gwayne
I get the same error with the text isntall. I'm going to try it on my laptop tonight to make sure there isn't anything wrong with my cds.

maybe a silly question :o but what brand of laptop :-)