Mandrake 9.1 - Gnome & KDE Question

Guest robstitt

Guest robstitt

When I installed Mandrake 9.0, it created a desktop and pulldowns that contained all the applications (this seemed to work under KDE and Gnome--albeit differently).

With 9.1, my KDE (under root-for now that's my only id) doesn't work at all (can't find any apps to run, won't even start a terminal window). Under Gnome (again as root), I can get a terminal window to run, but the menus don't list any of the installed applications. The only way to see a list of apps under Gnome is to try to "run a command" and pick from the long list.

Also, the logon window doesn't even remember my desktop selection from time to time (which 9.0 did).

What happened to things between 9.0 and 9.1??

This is Mandrakes way of protecting you from yourself. It is too easy to screw up major aspects of your system if you run KDE or Gnome as root.

Create a user, and you'll see all the functionality is still there.

This is Mandrakes way of protecting you from yourself.
Hmmmm...sounds like something M$ would do :P

What security level did you choose at install or after? I just logged in as root in 9.1 kde and gnome and can access everything just fine. I chose a Standard security level.

This is Mandrakes way of protecting you from yourself.
Hmmmm...sounds like something M$ would do :P

Well, I agree in principle, but I'm curious - has Mandrake changed what was its standard procedure of having KDE and Gnome show up with a red background and no desktop entries if you log in as root? You could still access everything, but most of the desktop icons and taskbar shortcuts weren't there.

I'm not being facetious or anything, but that's the way it worked for a long time, although I haven't used it since 8.2

Well, I agree in principle, but I'm curious - has Mandrake changed what was its standard procedure of having KDE and Gnome show up with a red background and no desktop entries if you log in as root? You could still access everything, but most of the desktop icons and taskbar shortcuts weren't there.

Still the same

I had the same problem. You can read the solution in my post here:
Doesn't sound like the same prob....but I could be wrong and it could help :wink:

Guest Adriano

On the "standard" security level, the only thing different on the root screen, as far as i remember, is the red galaxy background. All entries in the menu were there... Customization of the screen was very easy (I use the "nature.jpg" included on the /usr/share/wallpapers (or was it /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds...?) folder.