Software updates and kernel selection [solved]

I've never used a stripped kernel source, I just know that the unstripped is most likely to work without having to try again...and if you aren't tight on space, 200MB isn't much (especially since it won't negatively effect performance).

I'm back, and everything is fine now.

After the update I restarted the computer. Like I expected, the graphical interface didn't load. It happened to me before every time I updated the nvidia drivers. I got a message that X.org couldn't load and that there is some fatal error, and then I was asked if I want to try and solve it myself. Then I got the screen where you can choose the display settings. I went to the screen where one sets the driver and re-chose the same driver (nvidia Geforce 3-4 series for me). Then it uploaded the X environment, and here I am.

Thanks for everyone, and see you next time.

Ciao.

Make sure you are using the nvidia driver and not the nv driver. Check it in /etc/x11/xorg.conf - it should read:

Driver "nvidia"
In the device section, not:
Driver "nv"

Make sure you are using the nvidia driver and not the nv driver. Check it in /etc/x11/xorg.conf - it should read:

In the device section, not:

Checked it, the driver is 'nvidia'. When I reloaded the driver, I was asked if I want to use the proprietary driver, and I said yes. It's an important thing I forgot to mention, it's a good thing you reminded me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Theron

I upgraded my kernel and now Flash doesn't seem to work, such as on yahoo music and youtube, is there a way to fix it without reverting to the old kernel? if not how do I use the one that came with 2007.1