Repairing LiLo

dalee

Hi,

A quick question. I need to re-install Win98 on a dual boot machine. To repair LiLo after I'm done, I need to boot from my rescue disk and then just run /sbin/lilo right? Or am I not understanding what I'm reading correctly.

Thanks,

dalee

After booting from your rescue disk, and before running /sbin/lilo you need to be sure that you are executing the harddisk lilo with the harddisks /etc/lilo.conf parameters and not the rescue-disk lilo. So:

cd /mnt (or wherever is mounted your harddisk)

chroot .

/sbin/lilo

HTH

EDITED: (anon is faster) That was true for 8.1; and for any booting linux distro --knoppix...--, so things might have changed with the mdk-rescue disks :)

Thanks guys! You'd think that running Windows for just 2 programs (CAD/CAM) it would behave itself  :roll: 

dalee

why dont you try any of those Linux CADs instead? try google, there are many

They have, ;)

They might, but I'm very happy with my old 8.1 :D

It's also a good idea to uninstall lilo before installing windows. You can boot into Linux and type

lilo -U /dev/hda (assuming you installed lilo to your mbr)

When you boot off the win98 cd, it should just find everything to be what it expects. A normal drive with a normal mbr (from a win98 perspective).