gtk themes

Guest itti

i'm using xchat and xmms and want to use gtk+ themes with this apps because the standard look suxx really. i found a few themes but i don't know how to install them. I'm NOT using gnome.

You said you aren't using gnome, but you may still have some of the configuration apps. At command line I beleive you run gtk-config-capplet. type gtk<TAB> as I cannot remember the exact app name. btw, if you didn't know some really good themes are at themes.freshmeat.net. Also, now that mdk uses mostly gtk2 the theme selection is much much smaller than it was in the past.

ok. that one i don´t have... i guess the software manager will help me out...

@bvc: i know where to place xmms themes. i just wanted to change the look of gtk which is used in the "open files" dialog i think.

• 2 weeks later...

i found gnome-theme-properties, but i think it only applies to gnome apps, not to gtk+ apps.

i can't believe there is nothing to change the gtk+ themes in mandrake 9.0. So my X-Chat, LinNeighborhood, etc. are realy realy ugly.

That is probably because they (the gnome apps) use gtk2, what you need to do is get the format for the .gtkrc file (or whatever) and change that. I would paste mine as it is only 3-4 lines long but alas, my network is hosed and I am stuck on XP.

That is probably because they (the gnome apps) use gtk2

No, I have installed 5 gtk2 themes and 4 aren't changing "all" the apps. The freecurve.rpm from texstar that is the Bluecurve rh theme changes everything. I've even installed metacity-setup from tar and texstar's rpm and out of 7 gtk1 themes only one works. I'm not going to edit these files by hand, I'm tired of that, everyone says they like gnome2 and I can't understand why. IMO it's the worst I've seen, from a customization standpoint, and not just the looks. The control center is split up like rpmdrake got split up, when you click to open the Gnome Control Center it opens in NOTilus (nautilus)hehehe, and NOTilus doesn't have a viewer cappable of opening some of the control features. The best part is that nautilus and gedit require fam>xinetd>and portmap. What idiot thought that up?

That is probably because they (the gnome apps) use gtk2

No, I have installed 5 gtk2 themes and 4 aren't changing "all" the apps. The freecurve.rpm from texstar that is the Bluecurve rh theme changes everything. I've even installed metacity-setup from tar and texstar's rpm and out of 7 gtk1 themes only one works. I'm not going to edit these files by hand, I'm tired of that, everyone says they like gnome2 and I can't understand why. IMO it's the worst I've seen, from a customization standpoint, and not just the looks. The control center is split up like rpmdrake got split up, when you click to open the Gnome Control Center it opens in NOTilus (nautilus)hehehe, and NOTilus doesn't have a viewer cappable of opening some of the control features. The best part is that nautilus and gedit require fam>xinetd>and portmap. What idiot thought that up?

I wasn't talking about gtk2, I was talking about gtk1. Kinda... If you install a gtk2 theme why should it change gtk1 apps? ok I am done.

i just wanted to say that i finally found a theme-manager for gtk1(+)

it´s called "switch" and you can find it at freshmeat (where you get the themes from :) )

it doesn´t need gnome to run.

if switch doesn´t change your themes, i found out that you have to get rid of your .gtkrc in your homedir