This is some mess

Vdubjunkie

Man, have I got myself into a mess this time..

I decided to "upgrade" gcc when it failed to compile something or other recently.

This did not turn out to be smooth. I wound up deleting the gcc file itself and also it's bed fellows. The idea was that I would simply d/l a rpm and pop it back in there.

That didn't work at all, so I got the bright idea to compile from source the latest package from gnu.org on my other linux box (where gcc works splendidly) and then move the files over to the non functioning box to perform make install.

This appeared to work, however, when attempting to compile some other packages I got errors stating that gcc could not create executables. Also, almost everything rpm based I try with the age old rpm -ivh or rpm -Uvh method which has worked so well for me in the past errors out with "Segmentation Fault."

I don't know enough about the rpm process. I believed it did not require a c compiler and that was why you could use it to install a c compiler if you didn't already have one, but it seems funny that it all of a sudden decided to fail just when my c compiler hit the fan.

Anybody out there got any suggestions for things to look at?

I am desperate here. This is my friggin print/file server! :evil:

:shock: YUK :!:

Well......hmmmm....if it was me.....I'd try to get a list of the gcc you messed with, with

rpm -ql

and remove all by hand>then run symlinks to remove any...dead symlinks which may not be necessary, as well as ldconfig but the idea is to make rpm think it wasn't there. You'll probably have to rpm --rebuilddb and rpm --initdb also, but of course they may not work either????. Just my thoughts. You still may have to rpm -ivfh --nodeps gccwhatever. Still may not work though because rpm and gcc are so integrated if you know what I mean. Last resort......you could do a newbie Upgrade packages only by booting to CD1 :wink:

Oh...and try urpme and urpmi....it tends to do things a little diff...worth a try anyway.

:? Man your always messin' with that inportant stuff :o

You should just bite the bullet like we talked about and upgrade to 9 or 9.1 and install all the dev packages too. Since I don't know what you ripped out I can' really tell you how to fix that. I have not had any trouble with UPRMI in 9.0 so far. YMMV