Just installed a new kernel. Some questions

emh

I just installed an updated kernel (used rpmfind), and I now have 2.4.21-multimedia kernel with its kernel source rpm.

A couple questions:

How do I set it up so that this kernel is the default kernel for Mandrake to boot into?

While booting up the kernel, I get the following messages before anything happens:

ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP

ACPI: System description tables not found

ACPI: Unable to load system description tables

(the above is paraphrased)

However, after that message, the system seems to work just fine. Is there anything from this I should be concerned about?

I'm using Mandrake 9.0

I would read the kernel howto here at this board. I personally have not been able to build my own kernel, but have had success installing Mandrake kernel

rpm's.

Check this out: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/tutorials/lin...kster.php?CID=9

I can tell you that, if you are using lilo, you can make the appropriate entry there and have access to your old kernel if you run into a problem with your new one. Of course, when you compile, whatever sources are there is what the compiler uses. Be careful compiling for one kernel, and trying to use the rpm for a different kernel. Nvidia drivers are very kernel sensetive.

Easiest to to setup your boot options is in Mandrake Control Center, through the Drakboot config. You can change your default kernel there, and if you used RPMs (or the SRC RPM) it should have added an entry.