Mandriva One Spring in Japanese [solved]

bamboccio

I believe all downloads of 2007.1 support Japanese, but you have to configure it after the initial install by installing the proper RPM's (mostly fonts) and changing localization settings.

It looks as if you need Mandriva Linux One 2007 Spring KDE 32-bit Extra i18n ("for more languages"), whch can be downloaded from www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone.

Correction: that only supports Arab, Bulgarian, English, Hindi, Lithuanian, Dutch, Nynorsk, Ukrainian, Uzbek, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Zulu.

(The standard versions do Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish)

reference: www.mandriva.com/en/community/mandrivaone

You may have to go with tyme's solution...

Thanks, I have installed all the packages that match japan in their description and the fonts come up. I can display Japanese characters but when I then try to go in and add a new language using the KDE control center there is still no Japanese in the list :( To clarify I am looking to be able to enter japanese text and to have all the menus in Japanese.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Edited by bamboccio

you'll also want to install

locales-ja

I installed locales-ja now and looks like scim (the input program) works but still under the languages I cannot see Japanese. Do you think the only way is the free CD? My problem with that is that I got an old NVidia video card.

Thanks!

My problem with that is that I got an old NVidia video card.
That just means you'll need to download and install the NVIDIA drivers (available on nvidia's website) yourself. It's not that hard, we can walk you through if need be.

I am actually almost there I think. I installed the package kde-i18n-ja and now Japanese is one language I can add within control center. The only problem is that the fonts are not displayed correctly in Control Center when Japanese is selected as the main language. Hopefully a reboot will help.

• 3 weeks later...