Installing KDE 3.8.x (to be v4) alongside stable

n9nu

I was told several times that I could install the KDE RPMs from Cooker , version 3.8.x or so, along side 3.5.6, but for the life of me I cannot seem to enable some of them in the package manager...after I added all the right sources. It gives several conflicts as well. I was wondering if anyone out here has both KDE version installed along side and how they did it.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmac

Yes, I did install some KDE-3.8 applications using smart. These items install the /opt directory rather than /usr. To use them there is a simple directive (which I can't remember at the moment) which probably sets KDE_HOME to /opt. I never got the guts to try running it, I only downloaded it to solve an amarok problem. If you select any app from the group, the dependecies (kdebase, etc) are automatically downloaded.

It is possible to run KDE4 alpha in parallel with 3.5.X in Mandy (as well as several other distros), since they use different installation dirs, but you should definitely use a different user for KDE4, else you will screw your current KDE profile beyond repair. I had them running in parallel (different users) under Arch Linux, but I wiped KDE4- will come back when it will be slighly more usable, as currently it's a mess at the very best.

Downloaded an aplha, almost unusable KDE version to solve an Amarok issue? Man, you are a brave one! :D

By the way Amarok hasn't switched to QT4 yet, so you probably did all that for nothing, jmac.

Edited by scarecrow