Weird keyboard crash/repeating in KDE - Mdv 2007.1

ffrr

I booted off the Mandriva 2007.1 One (live) cd, and it looked OK, so I installed it to a spare disk/partition. It came up fine so I installed a few apps such as

Thunderbird

Krusader

and I also wanted vmware, so I downloaded the rpm from their site, and ran the setup script. It needed to build a new vmmon module and so I added

gcc

kernel source

and it built and worked fine (in fact it starts very fast compared to my older version).

I added some of the other drives in my system to fstab (including on NFS drive on a different computer on my network)

All was looking OK, so I tried a reboot. First thing I noticed is that it didn't ask me to login this time, just went straight into KDE. First thing it did then was to notice that I had a USB printer, and tried to install it (no drivers so I cancelled out)

I opened a terminal and started to type. It was ok for a few keystrokes, then the keyboard started repeating endlessly. I typed another letter, and it changed to a different (wrong letter) and kept repeating.

I booted back to my old Mandriva install (luckily <ctrl-alt-del> still worked), and it was OK again (in fact I am using it to type all this). I unplugged the printer (in case it was causing problems - even though the keyboard is NOT a USB type) booted back into 2007.1, and this time I opened kwrite. I got about 5 words typed, and off it went again!!!!

So something in the new install is not reacting nicely to my typing. :-(

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Also, as a side issue, why does it not ask for my username and password like it did the first time only?

It's not asking for username/password because auto-login was set up. Turn this off in Mandriva Control Center under System -> Boot (Options), or something to that effect. It may also be under the X configuration, I can't remember specifically.

As for the keyboard, you should be able to change keyboard configurations in Mandriva Control Center. Try a different one than whatever it's set to. Repeating keys like this are usually an indication that the keyboard is being recognized improperly.

It's not asking for username/password because auto-login was set up. Turn this off in Mandriva Control Center under System -> Boot (Options), or something to that effect. It may also be under the X configuration, I can't remember specifically.

It's in KDE Control Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager -> Convenience.

As for the keyboard, you should be able to change keyboard configurations in Mandriva Control Center. Try a different one than whatever it's set to. Repeating keys like this are usually an indication that the keyboard is being recognized improperly.

Thanks for the info on autologin. What is strange is that, the first time after install, it asked for my user name and password, and the second time it didn't - although I never touched the configuration for that. This one may be a bug when it is installed from the live CD.

The keyboard problem is not because it is misconfigured. I was using it for over an hour until I rebooted the computer. I suspect that the installation of vmware (version 1.04 which I have not used before) corrupted the keyboard interface in it's attempt to virtualise it. I'll have to reinstall it sometime. Luckily I was just testing the new spring version, and didn't disturb my main 2007 install (or my ubuntu install :-))