Fonts and MDK9.1

mikeoneil

Hi,

Are others generally happy or not with fonts in 9.1?

I've just installed 9.1 on the same PC as my existing 9.0 and I think 9.0 is better. In 9.1 I have added the msfonts package from Texstar and tried AA on and off. After setting all fonts the same as I have in 9.0 through KDEs look & feel/fonts I'm still a bit dissapointed.

With AA off they just look terrible and jagged. With AA on I see a distracting coulouring of the edges of some letters and it all looks a bit blurry. I was almost too scared to launch Open Office but supprisingly this looks better on 9.1. It's more the KDE desktop things such as menu, taskbars etc and especially web pages in Mozilla which I have tried to configure quickly.

For the same settings (fonts/sizes) 9.0 definetly looks better on the same machine/screen (17" TFT). The only difference I think is the version of Nvidia driver. It's the last but one on 9.1 and the one before that on 9.0. I remember installing Freetype2 for MDK9.0 but it seems this is already in 9.1. I've also tried moving the order of font directories in the X86 confing file.

Without delving too deeply into config files what have you done to get decent fonts? Or are they fine just as they are?

Thanks,

Mike

I have not messed with improving the fonts in 9.1, because they looked really good "out of the box".

(I do not have a box, it's just an ugly rumor!)

I had font issues with 9.1 which I ultimately solved with a reinstall. I couldn't import msfonts and the standard fonts looked ugly, especially web pages in Mozilla.

Since I reinstalled, the fonts look better and I have msfonts. I have AA disabled in KDE. Right now I'm using Tahoma 12 in Mozilla and it looks good

after installing 9.1, i installed the freetype2 stuff from texstar along with the msttcorefonts package (see everything linux forum, Linux and 2003 sticky topic for the link). i'm extremely happy with the results, but i don't use KDE. just waimea and GTK2 for the apps which need it.