Kget breaks downloads [solved]

opvask

I'm having problems with my beloved KGet recently. I'm not sure if this is related to Mandriva but I never had problems with KGet in my previous OS, Kubuntu.

When downloading a file it will suddenly stop and I cannot resume the download. I then get an error message saying: "a file named x already exists". If I choose to pause a file during download the problem is the same. It cannot resume. This does not happen always when downloading but quite often it does.

I've seen some bug reports online with similar issues but no suggestions on how to solve this. Anyone else with this problem? How to solve? It just broke a 2 GB download at 40%. I'd hate to start over.

If I use "Downloader 4 X" then there is no problem, but I really prefer my good old friend KGet.

When downloading a file it will suddenly stop and I cannot resume the download. I then get an error message saying: "a file named x already exists". If I choose to pause a file during download the problem is the same. It cannot resume. This does not happen always when downloading but quite often it does.

I've seen some bug reports online with similar issues but no suggestions on how to solve this. Anyone else with this problem? How to solve? It just broke a 2 GB download at 40%. I'd hate to start over.

I had this happen one time on an older version of Mandrake Linux, it hasn't happened to me with any version of Mandriva, yet. I believe that what happens is Kget picks up the wrong file size off the server... I don't know why, nor can I prove this theory. To fix this I had to delete the ~/.kde/share/apps/kget/logs and remove everthing from the ~/.kde/share/apps/kget/transfers.kgt file except the first line

[Common]

This should fix Kget for you, but it will not save your 2GB d/l. I'm sorry, but I know of no way to resume and save that file for you with Kget.

For the record, I use wget for anything over 500MB, because I can resume anything that gets screwed up while d/l with my connection.

Not a fix, but an alternative method you could use that always works (At least I never had a problem with it in almost six years): from a terminal launch

wget -c <path to file>

• 2 weeks later...