Looking for a Linux equivalent of AviRecomp

zibi1981

I didn't find anything on this topic on the board, so decided to start a new one.

I'm looking for a software, which would enable to merge *.avi files with subtitles in *.txt format or other. On Windows there is AviRecomp, but I couldn't find any such program working on Unix-like platforms. There are also some issues with trying to run AviRecomp on Linux using Wine.

Thx in advance

Edited by zibi1981

I don't know this product. What do you mean by "merge"? Do you want to merge the subtitle bitmaps with the video frames (sort of "copy-paste in gimp"), or do you want to merge the AVI file and the TXT file into a single file using a subtitles-enabled format, such as MPEG or newer alternatives (Matroska...)?

Yves.

Playing in any standalone DVD player (leaving apart media reflexivity issues) implies either DVD or SVCD format (forget about plain VCD).

Either format is based on the MPEG container, which supports subtitles. However, while I've been able to add subtitles to a DVD, I've not been able to do so with SVCD so far (well I did, but I don't know how to view them).

Basically, all you'll need is spumux, which uses an XML file for instructions, and is able to use many existing text-based subtitles formats to some extent (conversion is needed because MPEG subtitles are transparent bitmaps).

Yves.

Thanks for Your replies guys. I will give a try to both, Avidemux and Spumux.

If you want an easy GUI solution for converting avi's (single or multiple) and subs to (S)VCD or DVD I recommend DeVeDe. Personally I use Avidemux for some things and DeVeDe for others.